Asian style small ceramic plate and flask-- age? purpose?

In China and Dinnerware > Show & Tell.
China and Dinnerware1206 of 2713Maple City PotteryGarage sale find

hulalady56hulalady56 loves this.

lostone777

I am just trying to determine if these pieces are old, what they were used for, and where they might have originated.

Thanks!

Comments

1. lostone777, 2 years ago
    Just wanted to add that there is a faint etched hallmark that can be seen in the last picture.
  2. hulalady56 hulalady56, 2 years ago
    I myself was doing research on asian markings and found a wbsite that might be helpful to you...gotheborg.com...when you get to the homepage, scroll down and in the right-hand column you'll see either chinese or japanese markings, click on that. By looking at you're piece it is hard for me to determine if it is chinese or japanese in design. Anyway check out the site and good luck...let me know how things go
  3. maryh1956 maryh1956, 2 years ago
    The flask looks more Portuguese to me. Does it have any marks on the base?
  4. maryh1956 maryh1956, 2 years ago
    Here's an example of a Portuguese plate. The colors are more saturated but if you look at the style and shape of the birds, you will see a resemblance to your piece.http://www.rubylane.com/item/746874-11-19/Portuguese-red-blue-bird-tree
  5. maryh1956 maryh1956, 2 years ago
  6. maryh1956 maryh1956, 2 years ago
    I don't know. I was thinking Portuguese because of the way the bird is drawn. I would say it definitely is European
  7. maryh1956 maryh1956, 2 years ago
    I've seen some Delft with those stylized flowers too!
  8. AmberRose AmberRose, 2 years ago
    I think the flask is Mexican. Are there initials on it?
  9. AmberRose AmberRose, 2 years ago
  10. lostone777, 2 years ago
    Wow, thanks for all the help on the "flask". I hope no one will be offended if I remove those images and put some more Asian-looking items on.
  11. maryh1956 maryh1956, 2 years ago
    So lostone, did your flask not have markings on the base?
  12. lostone777, 2 years ago
    Hello, and thanks for the feedback so far, everyone. There are no markings on the bottom of that particular item. I can try maybe looking with a magnifying glass to see if there is anything faint, but nothing obvious I can see.