My Great-Grandmother's Ring

In Fine Jewelry > Fine Jewelry Rings > Show & Tell.
Fine Jewelry Rings148 of 331Can anyone help identify this ring????Victorian Opal Rings

Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.
nittygritty1962nittygritty1962 loves this.
tom61375tom61375 loves this.
ElisabethanElisabethan loves this.
sarahoffsarahoff loves this.
freiheitfreiheit loves this.
NewtimesNewtimes loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

BHock45

Came across this today. Grandmas showed me a, "secret drawer," in the box of goodies. And then I saw this. Looks like rose gold, my grandma told me the story.

This ring is easily over 100 years old, and was never outside my family. Many years ago, my great-uncle tried to have new stones put in. As the story goes...the jeweler told him that he could not add new stones. The ring was too brittle.

I do not know what kind of stones, and both my grandma and I would love comment. Looks like bright cut along the side? Let me try to ID based on the hallmarks:

Birmingham England
16 Karat Rose Gold
Made in 1870 by Joseph Price

That would be my best guess. Enjoy!

Comments

1. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Very cool. Great family treasure!
  2. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    The stones are Citrine. And my jeweler could add stone to it! My jewlers are famous for working with antique peices. I do not trust anyone else with my babies :)
  3. BHock45 BHock45, 1 year ago
    thanks freiheit newtimes vetraio50 mustangtony moonstonelover21! moonstoned, thanks for the info. I doubt at this point she will want it fixed, but I will ask her!
  4. Stillwater Stillwater, 1 year ago
    They're citrines
    I wonder what he was talking about? Gold is extremely malleable
  5. BHock45 BHock45, 1 year ago
    Hi Still water, thanks for the info. This is a family legend and it was like 50 years ago. Plus my grandma has been forgetting a lot lately.
  6. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 5 months ago
    The ring is very beautiful!
  7. nittygritty1962 nittygritty1962, 5 months ago
    I love the setting ..the history a true heirloom make sure you write down all the info on it for provenance relating to your treasure! Keep it with the ring !
  8. nittygritty1962 nittygritty1962, 5 months ago
    I get the feel rubies were the stones missing