Third generation without knowing where it came from

In Dolls > Cloth Dolls > Show & Tell.
Cloth Dolls47 of 166Well-loved Oilcloth ElephantTHE NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK  DOLLS 1990

Posted 1 year ago

ellymohr

This oilcloth doll appears to have well made home sewn clothing so I don't think it's original. The messy painted on eyes have always been that way, as I said for 3 generations!

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Wonderful doll ! It appears factory made and hard to tell by who Kruger in NY sold a lot of oil cloth dolls . There was also a pattern for this shape doll I believe by McCalls . If it is homemade they did a beautiful job . The paint on face seems more like a novice painter did it vs a factory a bit confusing but should date from 1930'-1040's . A great example of oil cloth dolls ! Love it
  2. ellymohr, 1 year ago
    Thank you so much...I'm going to continue research, maybe along the McCalls or Kruger lines.
  3. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    I misspelled it it is Krueger Located in New York :-)
  4. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    I found the pattern I thought you might like to see . I wonder if someone made it in oil cloth ?
  5. ellymohr, 1 year ago
    You're right, that seems to be the pattern although a lot larger. Since the doll is older than 1950 I wonder if this pattern was based on another older one. Maybe the pattern Co. would have that history. More for me to check. Thanks for the help.
  6. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Your welcome and I am sure they came in different sizes and put out at different times . Good luck on your journey, But I believe we can safely say homemade . Of coarse you could make pattern from any kind of material they chose oil cloth . Great choice I might add :-)
  7. vintagedollcollector.com vintagedollcollector.com, 1 year ago
    This style of doll is called a "baseball head" because of the way the seams down each side of the face shape the head, the same way a baseball is made. There were many, many patterns available for this type of doll in the mid-20th century, mostly mail order patterns advertised in newspapers and magazines, in all different sizes, both boys and girls, and some had wardrobes. The larger sizes were meant to wear real children's clothes.
  8. ellymohr, 1 year ago
    Wow, that makes sense. I'm really impressed that this is homemade. Thanks again