Hatpin from What Era & What is it?

In Fine Jewelry > Hatpins and Hatpin Holders > Show & Tell.
Hatpins and Hatpin Holders10 of 42Dragon Germany Hair Pins in original packagingSilver Micro Mosaic cresent flower Moon hatpin/stick pin

antiqueroseantiquerose loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
tom61375tom61375 loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

blingiton1…

I purchased this hatpin recently along with a group of others, but this one caught my eye in the ad. The bulb is glass and is 2 inches tall with this "thing" inside? Sparkles have fallen off of it and I think it may have been attached to the base inside at one time? The glass has an indentation on both sides wondering, so if the whole thing may have been round at one time and the thing inside deflated causing the glass to cave in? Looks like hand blown glass. Brass pin and base. Quite the conversation piece? But does anybody know anything about this unusal pin? Thanks so much blingiton1948..

Comments

1. davyd286, 1 year ago
    I wonder if it could have been a powder that later dried and "caked" into a nugget? It's unlikely that glass has "caved in". Plastic might have but glass would have cracked.
  2. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    davyd286, I totally agree....glass does not cave in unless soft. I think its just goldust....or of that nature. Neat hat pin....
  3. blingiton1948 blingiton1948, 1 year ago
    Thank you guys, It is a mystery. Both sides of the glass have the indentation so maybe for finger ease of pushing through hair/hat material. I just wish I could go back in time to see its original state.
  4. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    I would love to go back in time and see what it was and who bought it. If you live near mining or gem & mineral shops I would take it in and see what they think.
  5. Stillwater Stillwater, 1 year ago
    'The HECK is that thing
    Looks like dog poo
  6. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    Or throw-up.
  7. blingiton1948 blingiton1948, 1 year ago
    Well Stillwater & valentino97..no need to get "graphic".Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You must admit its "different"! I was hoping that some of you out there may have a suggestion of its origin, and perhaps davyd286 has the best scenario that it all could have been lined with this sparkly compound on the inside of the glass and over time has hardened into this wrinkly sparkly mass on the inside. I can tell its hardened because it "tickles" up against the glass when I move it, but like I said I think it was at one time attached to the base inside the glass. I find it very interesting, none the less. Thanks guys! blingiton1948
  8. kyratango kyratango, 6 months ago
    Perhaps gold flakes or powder from the gold rush in the 1800', custom hat pin made for a gold seeker's wife?
  9. Manikin Manikin, 6 months ago
    Looks like at one time it had free floating gold chips in it or fools gold . And certainly looks old maybe as early as end of 1800's to early 1900's . It may have got water in it and caused it to over time clump and self adhered . Better check you may have gold in there ! :-)
  10. Hatpinholly, 6 months ago
    This is a hand blown piece of glass that was painted inside with a metallic mixture to make the glass appear as goldstone...Victorians were experts at faking materials. Overtime the mixture has pulled away from the glass and globbed together. This hurts the value of the hatpin itself but it's still a neat piece.
  11. kyratango kyratango, 6 months ago
    This is what I imagined to be:

12. blingiton1948 blingiton1948, 6 months ago
    Thank you Hatpinholly and kratango..I never thought about it being painted inside, but that is probably exactly what happened here. I love it too..so strange, but one of a kind for sure. A conversation piece for sure..blingiton1948