How the West was really Won :-)

In Photographs > Show & Tell.
Photographs889 of 3001Men In Hat I: Men Wearing Bowlers1950's speedster

nldionnenldionne loves this.
rniedermanrniederman loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

Manikin

This is a old photo taken at Wisconsin Dells years ago . Not sure the Buffalo is still there and if a kid could pose with a gun anymore . It was ok for boys to play shoot em up back then but who knew what changes would result in todays world where little boys do shoot people . Sad but don't think playing cowboys was the cause of it , just like girls did not all have babies at 12 because they played with dolls . Just sayin' :-)

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Monkey see, monkey do. Could be in the food.
  2. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    :-) It must be the food Blunder . I always enjoy your posts ! I have a old gun I am wondering if you can tell me what it is ? That has him holding it and learning how to handle a gun . I am not sure I can post it though .
  3. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Sure you can post it but I'm mostly into antiques.
  4. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    My love button worked here this morning... I seem to have trouble with it quite often. Culture has more to do with causing sick individuals and their use of guns, and so many parents should never had babies in the first place. Crazy world !~
  5. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Is it a girl or boy in the picture, I would almost say boy ?
  6. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    I guess the shoes and socks look like a boys.
  7. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    Great picture Mani!
  8. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Phil a boy with a Davy Crockett hat on :-)
  9. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Mustang thanks for the love ! I agree with you all but their are people that could take it wrong . Since he is only about 3 and his Dad is showing him how to hold a real rifle . I might get hate mail :-( although he is a marksman now and my other son used his knowledge to fight in 3 wars for our country and was hit by a IED and nearly died so I don't know what people want or how they would judge photo:-)
  10. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
  11. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    Did you get my emails?
  12. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Bro Yes I got them :-))) I agree with you too
  13. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    I'm still pondering over #4 and the "love button" not working.
  14. nldionne nldionne, 2 years ago
    We had a buffalo farm about 5 miles away until a few months ago. It was there for years and the old man had to give them up. Was sad to see them go.
  15. bratjdd bratjdd, 2 years ago
    I Love this Picture and How Happy and Proud he Looks! :)
  16. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    How neat to have a buffalo farm near you nldionne . Such beautiful animals ! Thank you for the love and your comment about your buffalo . Where did they all go someone else take them to a farm ?
  17. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Hi Bratjdd thank you ! Yes he looks like he is really something :-) I appreciate the love and hope your doing well !!!!!!! xoxo
  18. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Thank you pw-collector ! always happy to see you on one of my posts and appreciate the love !
  19. bratjdd bratjdd, 2 years ago
    Manikin, yes I am Happy to say That I finish my Physical Therapy and I am back here Full time Lol! yes I am great full that I have you as A Friend and met wonderful People here Cw
  20. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    This really looks like a photographers set up, purposely done with the little saddle, & gun !~
  21. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Phil it is a set done by a photographer at a huge attraction here . It has a lot of Indian history also beautiful country ,waterpark , boat rides . Photo is pretty old . Stamped on back by photographer and Wisconsin dells . The Buffalo is real but stuffed .
  22. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    I was wondering about the buffalo as they aren't known for friendliness! Only been around a few but the 1st warning was not turn your back on them.
  23. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    I never got to close to a live buffalo (Bison)Blunder but remember when you could see them in the plains as you crossed US . I think most are on farms now as they were put on endangered species protected list I believe . You can not hunt them anymore .
  24. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    There are people around me who raise these animals now for meat, much as they would cattle, just not seen too much in the open anymore.
  25. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    I guess I did hear that buffalo was low in fat and healthy to eat Phil . I will pass on eating it :-) But your correct
  26. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    I remember seeing the free roaming herd in Yellowstone National Park in the late 70's, one of the few free roaming herds remaining. There are other herds in South Dakota, Utah, Montana, Northwest Territories, Alberta & Saskatchewan. The three Canadian herds are a separate subspecies known as the Wood Buffalo or Wood Bison.
    Hunting of these herds is allowed as a means of keeping the herds from overpopulating their range.
  27. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Thank you mikelv85,rniederman,vetraio50,pw-collector and mustang I appreciate the loves !
  28. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    The U.S. gov't. encouraged hunting them to extinction in order to starve the Indians. Well documented & worked.
  29. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
    How was the west really won? This is a staged picture and we all agree that's true. I visited Yellowstone last year and we had to wait until a herd walked calmly across the road. Very neat to see but then suddenly it was dark - there's no lights in Yellowstone. Gotta drive slow and careful out. We stayed at Cody and LOVED the museum at Cody.
  30. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    The title was a ploy on words it is a little kid :-) I passed through Yellowstone years ago but we never got out of car as we traveled with my parents and 4 kids in back seat across country . I can't say that I remember much except sleeping on floor board . We did see buffalo on road though :-) and I counted lots of fence posts since that is what my Mom would have us do to keep busy . Imagine trying that today with all the electronic devices kids can use .
  31. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
  32. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Thank you nldionne ,rniederman,valentino97, Phil,MiKKo and bratjdd !!
  33. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Thank you Kerry,gargoyle,official,MiKKo, and mikelv85 ! very appreciated :-)
  34. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    The Dells are great but very expensive now Sean . I lived not far from them when I had the Farm in Tomah . Have you been through there ?
  35. charcoal charcoal, 2 years ago
    Great posting and thought provoking conversation, Manikin! Thank you for sharing!
  36. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you Charcoal, bellin and moonstone ! :-)