Antique Victorian Black Crystal Opal 27mm x 22m Turning To Pendant HELP

In Fine Jewelry > Victorian and Edwardian Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Victorian and Edwardian Jewelry164 of 430Antique silver filigree watch fob and key on Belcher chainAntique Victorian Hardstone Inaglio & Tigers Eye Double Locket Fob Necklace

nutsabotas6nutsabotas6 loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
antiquarius123antiquarius123 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Moonstonel…

This was bought for the love of the Opal! I fell in love with the colour and fire that it has. I am changing it into a pendant. The Metal is hollow and I realize that the Opal is crazing on the back side. I did not care because the Opal had incredible fire!!! I would love to know the origin of the Black Opal and the stone measures 27mm x 22mm not including the mounting....what do you think..Sorry for the bad pictures...the opal in real has way more fire than I could capture.

Comments

1. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    mustangtony, thank you for your loving!!!!
  2. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Oh my It is soooooooooo beautiful . I am nearly as green in Opal with envy :-) Magnificent !
  3. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Manikin, thank you for the comment!!! The Opal is not perfect...but the fire of the Opal makes up for the crazing.....:)) I have never seen an Opal with such fire...I wished I could find out where is comes from... XOXOXOXO
  4. bratjdd bratjdd, 1 year ago
    I see what you are talking about, especially on the third picture. I love it!
    Thank you Moonstone I am learning a lot from you, not that I afford to buy now but maybe one day I will. :)
  5. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    bratjdd, I think you will find something cool one day. You never know what will turn up. This Opal was an accident and I still do not know what kind it is. Everything I have is a gamble..... :))
  6. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    antiquarius123, thank you for your loving :))))
  7. Stillwater Stillwater, 1 year ago
    Ehh, I've always stayed away from those "mine-names" that people give to stones, because 90% of the time its impossible to be 100% sure.
  8. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Stillwater, LOL well do you think its a good Opal or a cheap one?
  9. Stillwater Stillwater, 1 year ago
    Doesn't look like a cheap one to me, nice size, good fire. I would soak it in water if I were you, that keeps it from drying out and crazing more, and it increases its fire. Mousiture is actually what gives opals their fire in the first place, thats why really, really old opals can turn white after a long time. You can read about soaking it online from more info if its something you'd like to do
  10. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Stillwater, will soak ASAP! Thank you my friend for your comment and loving :)) Always happy to have your opinion!!! XOXOXO
  11. AmberRose AmberRose, 1 year ago
    Not that I know one thing about opals, cause I don't, but didn't a bunch of them come from Australia during the 60s? Assuming that the hollow metal means a later (earlier?) vintage? I might be way off track here...
  12. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    AmberRose, This was from the Victorian Era.....or maybe earlier...as far as I can tell. So the Opal is OLD.....and I think that the crazing is because the wearer was loving this brooch so much accidently trying to take if off tore it off....OR it was stolen off her by a robber? And since its so big it cracked when it was grabbed. Hm...interesting to think about :0
  13. Stillwater Stillwater, 1 year ago
    I'd say its a bit later, that clasp is a 20th century invention. "Bunny-ear" catches first became widespread in the late 1920's and early 1930's, so those are very useful in dating brooches.
  14. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Stillwater, the bunny ear was a later addition...I took the brooch to the store and whoever fixed or tried to fix this used pot metal to reattach a different clasp. They said they believe the original was a "C" clasp that was ripped or taken off. They said this was very old and one of the owners tried fix and maybe that's when the damage to the Opal occurred.....with the use of heat or torch. The style of the brooch is hollowware and heavily Gilted or low grade 9ct gold. I believe this was originally a Pendant Brooch combo. There is an old attachment at the top of the middle of the backing...like it was a pendant...or even a hook. What do you think...for repairs sauder was widely used at one time because gold was expensive...
  15. Zowie Zowie, 1 year ago
    Good morning to me it looks like milk opal. Just look this up on your computer & should have no trouble finding any information that you should want. By the way add Australia. Good luck
  16. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Zowie, I looked it up...and cant find one with such fire..... So is this a goodn one? Or did I waste my money? Is this worth fixing into a pendant?
  17. Zowie Zowie, 1 year ago
    I don't know what you paid for it but the stone is most probably dry from age or conditions it is kept in. I really could not defiantly say. As for wasting your money it is nice.
  18. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Zowie, I paid $65 for it. I just found a site with a similar Opal..under Milk Opal
    what do you think?
  19. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    toolate2, thank you for your loving :))
  20. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 1 year ago
    i think it's a beautiful, HUGE, black opal from Lightning Ridge. I know that opals are often mounted onto something or potch is left on the back of it to help give it some stability. i'll bet this one can be restored - and maybe mounted on some kind of black backing. holoware is very difficult to repair and not many jewelers can work w/ it. i'd contact one of the better opal experts in Australia to find out what they recommend.
  21. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    ho2cultcha, WOW...thank you for the information and loving !!!! I will check out the LR and see what they have!! You are right there is potch in the back around the edges of the opal for stability. I do believe that the C clasp was broken off....and they tried to fix it..and did a poor job. I will look into stabilizing this opal more. This is the nicest Opal I have ever seen! I collect them and at first I thought this was fake. Thank you for your help....XOXOXOXO
  22. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, thank you for loving XOXOXOXO
  23. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    BELLIN68, you are always good to me :))) XOXO
  24. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    inky, thank you for loving ...this one is one of my favourites!!!
  25. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    NativeJewelerylovers, thank you!!!!
  26. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Wpj, xoxoxox
  27. LOUMANAL LOUMANAL, 1 year ago
    Here is a site provided by vetraio50 on black opals that I found very useful! I really like your pendant, BOB
  28. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    LOUMANAL, I love your ring!!!
    Lee
  29. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    LOUMANAL, thank you for your loving!!!
  30. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    musikchoo, thank you for loving!!!
  31. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 4 months ago