1879 British Woven silk photogragh "The Present Time"

In Rugs and Textiles > Embroidery > Show & Tell and Railroadiana > Show & Tell.
Embroidery43 of 90Handmade little rug made with incredable patienceAntique Needlework with Hand Painting  / "Where The Heart Dwells" / Circa 1906

kingshawnkingshawn loves this.
inkyinky loves this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
scottvezscottvez loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

gargoyleco…

I found this in a box of broken dishes the other day,it is in fair condition for as old as I think it is,but maybe someone here can tell me more about it.I love train stuff,so I plan on reframing it and hanging it up.The last 2 pics are of the back,and it measures about 5x8 inches.Thanks for looking!

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    That is one very cool silk print ! I love trains too and would frame it and hang it too ! Love it
  2. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thanks Mani,I plan on putting it in a 2 side frame,that is what it was in,but it was broken.
    I forgot to mark it unsolved!!!!!!!CW HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Yes you would not want to hide the other side with all the others he did along with Train . Calling 911 CW to edit to unsolved . I want a edit for when I need to correct a word that was either changed by spell check or I did a typo on too CW Help me too :-)
  4. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    These are known as Stevengraphs-- from the original maker and inventor of the process. It is nice that yours comes from this maker!

They have a great collector following-- the lack of silk aging or discoloration really sets yours apart from many examples.

scott
  5. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Love Stevengraphs!
  6. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    How old do you guys think this is?????????????
  7. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thanks manikin,scott, blunder,pw-collector,vetraio,and AmbeRose!Thanks for the info scott,and the compliments,mani,and vetraio!
  8. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Have you seen this?
    Down the bottom of the page under "trains"!
  9. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thanks vetraio!!!!!!No I had not seen that,now I know that the label on the back was actually the envelope it would have came in!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    From that Site I found,with Thomas Stevens credit on the front,and the 114 Newgate St. adress,dates this to 1879!He was at the 114 Newgate st. adress from 1879-1884.Thanks again vetraio!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thanks AmberRose and walksoftly!
  12. musikchoo musikchoo, 1 year ago
    Love the Choo Choo !!!!!
  13. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thank you very much Musikchoochoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. inky inky, 1 year ago
    Wouldn't mind it on my wall too..it's beautiful!....:-)
  15. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thank you very much inky,I think so too!
  16. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago