My Friend Nicholas "Porky" Cutinha, Medal of Honor Winner, photo of him and me 1968 Tay Ninh

In Photographs > Show & Tell and Military and Wartime > Military Medals > Show & Tell.
Photographs1244 of 3275Souvenir photos of the "Canadian Pacific Rockies" part 2possible young Abe lincon

fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
inkyinky loves this.

toracat

Sp4c. Cutinha maintained this position, refused assistance, and provided defensive fire for his comrades until he fell mortally wounded. He was solely responsible for killing 15 enemy soldiers while saving the lives of at least 9 members of his own unit. Sp4c. Cutinha's gallantry and extraordinary heroism were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army. HELLO! These are the Brave 48 young men that died in Eight Minute Ambush, many were my good friends.I called him a crazy Greek a few times, and he would laugh, after 35+ yrs. I read his family came from India! No wonder he laughed! I think his mom had a fishing boat!! In photo I have grenade next to his head!! Don The following are brave Manchu's that died that day in 8 minutes at Hoc Mon Bridge RIP
ALVAREZ-TAPIA, JOSE LUIS AVERY, GERALD LAWRENCE BONDS, CHARLES EDWARD
WATKINS, GARY WINSTON WEST, PAUL EDWARD WHEELER, DARRELL EUGENE
WIDENER, LARRY ALLEN WILLIAMS, JOSEPH JEROME WILLIAMS, VIRGIL LAWRENCE
WINGET, KENNETH WAYNE YOUNG, DANNY STEPHEN YOUNG, WILLARD FRANK
OLDHAM, KENNETH LINDLE

HELLO THIS POEM IS ON OUR MEMORIAL WEBSITE:
Young Warriors;
Should fate find you on the battlefield,
May your cause be a just one.
May your courage not falter.
May you show mercy to your enemies.
May your efforts bring the blessings of peace.
May you be triumphant and earn victory.
May your sacrifice be always appreciated.
May you endure the conflict unharmed.
Should you be harmed,
May your wounds heal.
Should you perish in the struggle,
May God embrace you and find a
Place for you in his Kingdom. Thanks for looking! Don OH "Keep Up the Fire" Manchu

Comments

1. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    Nice tribute to your friend & the fallen, very nice poem!
  2. toracat toracat, 2 years ago
    Thank you! Yes I love the poem!
  3. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Only those who know can understand this kind of bond.
  4. toracat toracat, 2 years ago
    True I was in age 17-19. It made me grow up fast. It was my first trip to another country, we just wanted to do 1 year and go home, but when men and women are together in tough times, they bond, you become close to people you would not in civilian life. Thanks!
  5. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    You can grow up too fast & see some things nobody at any age should see! The past but still the present. Enough said.
  6. toracat toracat, 2 years ago
    thanks!
  7. toracat toracat, 2 years ago
    I survived! Porky did not, but he was bravest man I ever met. Made Jack Bauer from TV show 24 look like a wimp!
  8. Thoscahaba Thoscahaba, 2 years ago
    HOOAH. Toracat. RIP Warriors.
  9. toracat toracat, 2 years ago
    Outstanding Comment!
  10. sarahoff sarahoff, 2 years ago
    What are wonderful friend you are to honer him with this memorial post in his name.
  11. ThankyoufouryourserviceNC ThankyoufouryourserviceNC, 6 months ago
    We are honoring specialist Cutina tomorrow morning. Please see my profile pic for details. I apologize that I marked on it. I intend to attend the event in his honor. While preparing for the event, I researched everything I could relating to his past and I stumbled upon your blog. I thought you might be interested. Thank you for your service.
  12. antiquerose antiquerose, 6 months ago
    Beautiful post...Amen to all
  13. toracat toracat, 6 months ago
    Thanks NC5 and Rose
  14. antiquerose antiquerose, 6 months ago
    Your Welcome....You seen post # 12 - Tora ??
  15. ThankyoufouryourserviceNC ThankyoufouryourserviceNC, 6 months ago
    I am very pleased to let everyone know that there was a Wall of Honor dedicated to Nicholas Cutina this week. See http://ncflindependent.com/2015/03/02/wall-of-honor-dedicated-today-for-local-military-hero/ By the way, one of the roads leading up to the Nassau County Courthouse Annex also bears his name. There were many in attendance at the ceremony. We are proud to have honored one of America's greatest with a wall of honor!
  16. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 6 months ago
    God bless them alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
  17. toracat toracat, 6 months ago
    Thank you NC and Roy, he was more brave than me and I think all of us together...
  18. Virginia.vintage Virginia.vintage, 6 months ago
    A very emotional post, full of love.
    Thanks for share dear friend!
  19. toracat toracat, 6 months ago
  20. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 6 months ago
    This is a fine post. I was there boots on the ground in 68, bear cat base. No matter where you were it wasn't easy. I still choke up when I hear Eric Burden sing " We Gotta Get Outta This Place". My blood pressure hits the limit when I see or hear of Hanoi Jane. Some memories never go away.
  21. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 6 months ago
    All of those photo's and his medal of honor are on display here in Florida thanks to his mother.
  22. toracat toracat, 6 months ago
    Yes that song and "The Letter" and others! His mother had a fish and shrimp boat, maybe? His name was Nicholas and I thought he was Greek, I called him a crazy Greek a few times, and he would roar with laughter! I did not know until 35 yrs. later, that he was from India! He was sooo brave but no ego, he would help and teach and comfort or assure others with humor and I want to say love but care and concern for we were in a difficult area and situation. I traveled the world many years, had fun, did not do anything to move world forward, oh well, the good die young. don