Old Lantern with Red Glass Reflector

In Railroadiana > Railroad Lanterns and Lamps > Show & Tell.
Railroad Lanterns and Lamps11 of 149Railroad Lantern or Ships Lantern?  Anyone Know???Charles S. Sweet Presentation Lantern

blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

Posted 10 months ago

luvantique…

The lady I purchased it from at a garage sale said she bought it at an antique shop and was told it was a lantern that hung from an Amish buggy. I bought it home and my husband and father-in-law thought it was a railroad lantern? I've tried to locate one like it on the internet and can't find any. It says Dietz No. 1 Little Wizaard on it if that helps. I guess I'd like to know what the latern with a red reflector like this one was used for and time period. I am adding under Railroadiana but may need moved. Thanks!

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 10 months ago
    Not sure I've ever heard of brake lights on a buggy!
  2. luvantiques08 luvantiques08, 10 months ago
    The red glass piece isn't a brake lite. It appears to me when the lantern is lite, it shows through the red glass so is more of a reflector to those approaching there's a buggy ahead? Or, maybe that's not what it was used for at all? Anyone else have ideas? Thanks.
  3. musikchoo musikchoo, 10 months ago
    If it is adlake, its probably a railroad Lantern.
  4. musikchoo musikchoo, 10 months ago
    I believe Dietz made railroad lanterns also
  5. railnsail, 10 months ago
    The woman you bought the lantern from was correct. Your lantern is a Dash or Buggy lantern. R.E. Dietz made many variations of lanterns for farming, construction, Railroad, Marine, general use, and everything else. I've been collecting Railroad lanterns for over 40 years and most antique dealers use the lame excuse "it's a railroad lantern" just because it is made by Dietz, Adlake, Armspear, Dressel, CT Ham, Embury, or a dozen other manufactures but the truth is all of those manufactures also made general use or "barn" lanterns as well. I applaud her honesty. The fact is, a Railroad lantern is a Railroad lantern, and a Barn lantern is a Barn lantern. A good web site for Dietz lanterns is W.T. Kirkman lanterns and a good explanation of what Railroad lanterns look like is the Railroadiana.org web site. Two good books identifying lanterns are: Lanterns that lit our world and the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Railroad lighting. I hope this helps.
  6. luvantiques08 luvantiques08, 10 months ago
    Thanks, railnsail for the information. Good to know this is a dash or buggy lanterm. Appreciate everyone's help!
  7. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 10 months ago
    So, it is a buggy brake light! LOL