Black Man Marching Band Leader With Cymbals Car Mascot 1925

In Classic Cars > Hood Ornaments > Show & Tell and Art Deco > Show & Tell.
Hood Ornaments49 of 141Boyce Moto-Meter with Buick logo Art Deco Speedboat Chrome Radiator Mascot / Hood Ornament..Early piece 20's/30's

anastasianikolanastasianikol loves this.
sarahoffsarahoff loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
rniedermanrniederman loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

PhilDavidA…

Black Man Marching Band Leader With Cymbals Car Mascot

French Title is "Monsieur Loyal", Brevet SGDG, France, 1925, Composed of nickel metal. This is a very rare French mascot treated in the manner of " the American black man. "

This came up early in the year and from an auction in England. There are only about 4 black male men mascots that I have ever seen pictures of.

The colour picture is of the one auctioned and the one in Michel Legrands book is the monochrome image I have included for comparison to the stand out difference in outfits. Apparently that regularly happened !~

This is my 100th post !!!! And hopefully I will start to put on the other car mascots that I never had put on before, I seem to have a couple drawers full.

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Bring on the next one hundred!
    Well done Phil!
    Congratulations on Monsieur Loyal!
  2. rniederman rniederman, 1 year ago
    It looks like the arms will spin ... right?
  3. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Oh I love him Phil and also I am smiling at your cute new profile photo of you and a paint brush :-) How fitting for you xoxo
  4. AmberRose AmberRose, 1 year ago
    Congratulations 100!!! Phil, it's a great opportunity to reiterate how divine I find your collections. Someday I will be up North and demand a visit so I may gaze to my hearts content. Yum!
  5. cogito cogito, 1 year ago
    Very cool. Does it rotate its arms in a whirly-gig type fashion?
  6. antiquarius123 antiquarius123, 1 year ago
    Great car mascot and not at all PC!
  7. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Yes the arms rotate in the wind as the car moves !!
  8. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you vetraio50, please don't grow too old waiting for the next 100 as I have no plans for that, but come to think of it - when I joined this site I never dreamed that I would be posting 100 things, kind of makes the world go round or am I just spinning in my chair ?
  9. mikelv85 mikelv85, 1 year ago
    Really nice Phil ! He looks like a minstrel from the pre-vaudeville days. Not very PC as antiquarius123 said by today's standards, but minstrel shows were distinctly American musical theater after the civil war.
  10. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    A nice post for your 100th, as for it being politically correct, it was PC in it's day.
    I love the new profile picture of you wielding your paintbrush like a sword!
    Is that why Lucy looks so apprehensive? :-)
  11. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanks David, it was my first caricature that I ever did, so my brush was chinese fingerpaint deadly !~
  12. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Yes everyone I ordered pizza told me that, Geno. I did have better teeth and nose though, not that I am bragging, Freddie had so many fans.
  13. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you muchly for the loves mustangtony, rniederman, & SEAN68 !~
  14. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the nice comments so far from vetraio50, rniederman, Mani, AmberRose, cogito, antiquarius123, Mike, David, Geno, love you all.
  15. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Mani for the love, much appreciated !~
  16. SpunkysMom SpunkysMom, 1 year ago
    Hope the next 100 are as great as the first 100!
  17. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the loves geo26e, mikelv85, BHock45, czechman, antiquarius123, cogito, & sarahoff, most appreciate your visits !~
  18. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you David for the love, appreciated !~
  19. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you very much for the loves musikchoo, & DrFluffy !~
  20. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you rocker-sd for the love, much appreciated !~
  21. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 1 year ago
    happy birthday ...smiling ,.....This is my 100th post !!!! on C W yaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  22. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Roycroft for the wonderful comment, and congrats to you for your 50th already, nice one !~
  23. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the love gargoylecollector, I very much appreciate that !~
  24. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Geno for the loves, appreciated !~
  25. kerry10456 kerry10456, 1 year ago
    Evenin Phil, Happy 100th
  26. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you toolate2 for the love, much appreciated !~
  27. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Kerry for the wishes and the love, very many thanks !~
  28. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanks again blunderbuss2 for the love, most appreciated !~
  29. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you pops52 for the love, very appreciated !~
  30. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you SpunkysMom for the uplifting comment and the love, always appreciate your visit !~
  31. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you bratjdd for the love, I send it respectful and free of solicitations !!~
  32. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you inky for the love, much appreciated and back at you !~
  33. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    Super post Phil, very nice piece! Looks like it needs a base maybe???? LOL!!
  34. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the love petey, very nice of you !~
  35. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Roycroftbooksfromme1 for the love and the wonderful wishes as usual, good friend !~
  36. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you claudia1971 for the love, very appreciated !~
  37. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you pickrknows for the love, and right back at you !~
  38. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the love Justanovice, appreciated !~
  39. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Eye4Beauty, appreciated, Phil.
  40. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you musikchoo for the love, very much appreciated !~
  41. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you toracat for the love, much appreciated and right back at you !~
  42. mcheconi mcheconi, 1 year ago
    Congrats on your 100th post Phil...these ornaments are so beautiful! Oh damn...so much to collect and so little time!
  43. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you mcheconi for the comment, appreciated !~
  44. lundy lundy, 1 year ago
    thats cool and thank you on the hekp on screen art
  45. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    You are welcome lundy !~
  46. Signaholic Signaholic, 12 months ago
    Very cool piece Phil, how did you ever decide to collect hood ornaments?
  47. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 12 months ago
    I would say it must have been an episode of Storage Wars, and Hester found them, I guess they were planted however by the show. Then I bought some books on mascots from an auction in Germany, then more books and a couple people I met who could guide me as to originality.
  48. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 12 months ago
    Thank you pw-collector and Moonstonelover21 for the loves, sending right back to you !~
  49. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 12 months ago
    Thank you Hedgewalker for the love, very appreciated !~
  50. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 12 months ago
    Thank you AzTom and Signaholic for the love, very appreciated !~
  51. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 12 months ago
    hey ...came across a local auction ..they have automobilla & hood mascots ..going on the block ..here's there web site ...have fun..

52. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 12 months ago
  53. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 12 months ago
    Thanks very much Roycroftbooks - its a bit late but would have loved to see them
    in person sent it to a friend to take a look. Some of the harder to find ones may be recasts and would really have to see in person. Thank you for thinking of my collection, Phil.
  54. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 12 months ago
    its Gary to u Phil ...lol
    ya I spoted it this morning in the paper and said to myself ahhh maybe Phil will see some thing of value there and have someone here he know to make a deal ..being they dont do phone bids ...I used to deal with Gary years ago when he was staring out ....I know nothing about them my self ..o well maybe next time ... ;-0
  55. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 12 months ago
    Yes Gary, it would have been fun to take a look in person - there were so many. Sometimes when there is a big collection you have to really check because you may find a diamond in the rough !~Phil.
  56. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 11 months ago
    Thank you for the love BHock45, much appreciated !~
  57. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 11 months ago
    Thank you Budek for the love, appreciated !~
  58. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 11 months ago
    Thank you ho2cultcha for the love, very appreciated.
  59. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 11 months ago
    Thanks vanskyock24 for the love, highly appreciative !~
  60. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 10 months ago
    Thank you ttomtucker for the love, much appreciated !~
  61. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 9 months ago
    Thank you ho2cultcha for the love, much appreciated !~
  62. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 9 months ago
    Thanks junglehouse for the love, very much appreciated !~