Victor phonograph restore (update)

In Electronics > Phonographs > Show & Tell.
Phonographs21 of 166My vintage whind up music box and my Westinghouse quartz pendum clock;  All working.  These items are just two of many.,,..The.Gramophone and Typewriter Company Ltd. Model 3a

tom61375tom61375 loves this.
februarystarskcfebruarystarskc loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
MattyGMattyG loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

februaryst…

Hello all,

I was given this phonograph as a birthday present a few months ago. It's looks like the previous owner sprayed varnish all over it. I'd like to take it apart and restore it. The reproducer fell off and I have no idea how to put it back on. Do these phonographs come apart easy? Any advise on how to restore would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Restoration is complete! It was a lot of fun. The first photo is the machine before the restoration. Below is a link to it playing a song.

-Kevin

Comments

1. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    There is a pin inside the reproducer that lines up with the slot in the end of the tube. Once aligned & on, give slight rotation to hold it in place.
  2. februarystarskc, 1 year ago
    Yeah I saw that and tried that but it is really loose. Was there a rubber fitting or something that would keep it stabilized? Thank you
  3. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Yes, there is a rubber gasket, most likely got hard & broke up.
    Link to replacement part (I'm not associated with the part for sale):
  4. februarystarskc, 1 year ago
    Wow thank you, there is trace evidence that there was something rubber there. Is there a disassembly guide somewhere? I want to take it apart and sand it down and stain it correctly. Thanks again for all your help!
  5. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    If this is your first restoration job, I would do a lot of research first!
  6. februarystarskc, 1 year ago