What is it? Help me, CW, you're my only hope!

In Accessories > Compacts > Show & Tell.
Compacts29 of 82Whilst Digging in my back yard....Round Pill Compact  from  Japan

Posted 1 year ago

sb2brown
(1 item)

I inherited this "pill box" (for lack of a better term) from my mother (who is 51), who got it from her mother (who just passed away at the age of 83). It's a Stratton compact, but never had a mirror, at least not that my mother can recall. It also came with the divided insert, which I'm not sure is original. Regardless, the plastic divider fits like a glove, which leads me to believe it too was made by Stratton for this particular compact. The compact itself it about 3 inches across and 1/2 inch wide.

No antique dealer I've shown it to has ever seen anything like it.

I'd like to find a similar item to give to my mother (since I "stole" this one from her), but I don't know what to search for. The term "pill box" brings up small, single chamber boxes. The term"compact" brings up similar golden compacts, but with the hinged inside cover to separate makeup and sponge.

Does anyone know what this is exactly? My guess would be that the plastic divider maybe held makeup at one point? But most of the comparable Stratton compacts have metal dividers, not plastic.

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    You might try looking under pill organizer or similar terms.
  2. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Plastic was not invented when your grandmother had it . It was at end of 40's but not perfected untils 1950s . The compact look much older than that .
  3. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Looks like a powder box to me maybe try that .
  4. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    I think parts were removed and the tray was just a lucky fit :-) Very nice and nice heirloom . This is similar with all parts in place .
  5. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Here is one like just yours .If you took it apart and found the a insert , but this is what yours was before alteration or mirror breaking ect . Was put to good use ! :-)
  6. sb2brown sb2brown, 1 year ago
    Good suggestion. I'll try that blunder.

Thanks for the info Manikin. I know plastics weren't widely used until the 50's, which is why I thought maybe this insert was manufactured by Stratton later, as a way to reuse your compact once the makeup was finished. You're great at researching; what would you call the insert if you were looking for it online, "plastic Stratton compact insert"?
  7. Roycroftbooksfromme1, 1 year ago
    o pills .... iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiI'll take Some blue ones .,have any yellow onesss...lol just kiden ..great job Manikin You allways come threw....
  8. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    LOL @ Roycroftbooks :-) your funny
    @ sb2 I think the insert that is in compact came off a toy or something . I don't think that it was made to fit in there it just did. It is a part off something else : -( You need to look through some kids toy box or sameone's workshop , can I see bottom of the insert ?
  9. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    check this one out it may fit ?
  10. sb2brown sb2brown, 1 year ago
    Manikin, I can't figure out how to add another picture of the bottom. There's no identifying maker though.
  11. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    On the left side of the screen under " love it" there should be an edit button that is there to adjust the posting any time you want.
  12. sb2brown sb2brown, 1 year ago
    Thanks Phil.

Here's the bottom of the pill divider, Manikin.
  13. mrcolorz mrcolorz, 1 year ago
    Hi...Join me on Facebook...Ellsworth Maine History Detectives...
  14. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thanks sb2 . Is bottom made of cloth ?
  15. sb2brown sb2brown, 1 year ago
    No, it's also plastic, but you can see some slight vertical lines going across the whole thing. And the insert isn't a hard plastic either.