J.E. Caldwell & Co. Philadelphia Clock

In Clocks > Mantel Clocks > Show & Tell.
Mantel Clocks127 of 396Vintage 1964 British Smiths mantle clock.Herman Miller Art Deco Clock Model #732, 1920 - 1930

CindBCindB loves this.
toolate2toolate2 loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
laneyleelaneylee loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

laneylee
(1 item)

All I know is it's a J.E. Caldwell & Co. clock. I was given it from my grandmother. I think it's beautiful! It works, although I usually don't have it running. If anyone knows anything at all about this clock please let me know.
Thanks!

Comments

1. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Welcome to CW!!! Great piece!!!
  2. laneylee laneylee, 1 year ago
    Thank you Moonstonelover 21! This is a great site!
  3. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    I love these style clocks!

It is a beehive mantle clock. This style clock was very popular in the first quarter of the 20th century.

I wasn't familiar with Caldwell, so Idid a quick search-- they are a RETAILER in Philadelphia:

You may find the manufacturer marks on the inside of the case.

scott
  4. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    I am familiar with Caldwell, unlike Mr. Vez, ( who put in a poor link ) on a lot of items Caldwell design came into play, esp. metalwork and design, never rule them out as just a retailer ! Phil !~

Edward F. Caldwell & Co., of New York City, was the premier designer and manufacturer of electric light fixtures and decorative metalwork from the late 19th to the mid-20th centuries. Founded in 1895 by Edward F. Caldwell (1851-1914) and Victor F. von Lossberg (1853-1942), the firm’s legacy of highly crafted creations includes custom made metal gates, lanterns, chandeliers, ceiling and wall fixtures, floor and table lamps, and other decorative objects that can be found today in many metropolitan area churches, public buildings, offices, clubs, and residences. A majority of these buildings were built in the early 20th century, a time of tremendous growth in construction and when many cities were being electrified for the first time.
  5. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    Sorry for the poor link-- I yield to the immense knowledge of phildaveal....

scott
  6. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    Here is a link to phildaveal's wiki paste (unattributed, but I won't question your knowledge) on F.E. Caldwell of NYC:

While the Co. certainly may be related, I thought the discussion was about the Philadelphia firm of "J.E. Caldwell".

scott

7. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Yes, I did not want to talk about it to scott as he always thinks he is correct. J.E. Caldwell for instance made a lot of lamps which are good enough to be sold at Christies in NYC all the time. Edward F. was a big part of the JE Caldwell firm, which worked together.
  8. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    What is the source for: "Edward F. was a big part of the JE Caldwell firm, which worked together."

scott
  9. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    They worked together mainly on projects and that info is from a book. The internet is too new for all info to be put on the net.
  10. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    What book?

scott
  11. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    Book information?

scott
  12. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    Several online clock resources cite "J.E. Caldwell & Co." as a retailer of clock. No source (that I have found) refers to them as manufacturers-- specific mention is made of clocks made in England and France, that they then retailed.

No mention is made of a connection to the later NY firm (nor is any connection mentioned in wiki).

scott
  13. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    Book information?
  14. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    Odd that a book title and source for: "Edward F. was a big part of the JE Caldwell firm, which worked together" has still not been provided.

scott
  15. pops52 pops52, 1 year ago
    Great clock!
  16. scottvez scottvez, 3 months ago

scott
  17. Manikin Manikin, 3 months ago
  18. scottvez scottvez, 3 months ago
    Nice try!

scott
  19. Manikin Manikin, 3 months ago
    Well I did try anyway so we can move past this Scott .
  20. scottvez scottvez, 3 months ago
    PDAM made comments about me in his posts.

I RESPONDED-- and that has upset you? So now YOU think it is important to "move past this". How about encouraging PDAM to "not go there"?

I make it a habit to avoid PDAM, but I will RESPOND to HIS negative comments.

scott
  21. solver solver, 3 months ago
    From a National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Message Board post:
    "... I am actually surprised that there is not more detailed information on the clocks by E. F. Caldwell (not to be confused with the jeweler, J. E. Caldwell)."

The book "Philadelphia and Popular Philadelphians," Philadelphia: The North American, 1891, page 125, does not mention any association of a "Edward F. Caldwell with the firm J. E. Caldwell & Co.