J.E. Caldwell & Co. Philadelphia Clock

In Clocks > Mantel Clocks > Show & Tell.
Mantel Clocks178 of 447Vintage 1964 British Smiths mantle clock.Herman Miller Art Deco Clock Model #732, 1920 - 1930

CindBCindB loves this.
Bruce99Bruce99 loves this.
toolate2toolate2 loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
laneyleelaneylee loves this.

laneylee
(1 item)

All I know is it's a J.E. Caldwell & Co. clock. I was given it from my grandmother. I think it's beautiful! It works, although I usually don't have it running. If anyone knows anything at all about this clock please let me know.
Thanks!

Comments

1. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 2 years ago
    Welcome to CW!!! Great piece!!!
  2. laneylee laneylee, 2 years ago
    Thank you Moonstonelover 21! This is a great site!
  3. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    I love these style clocks!

It is a beehive mantle clock. This style clock was very popular in the first quarter of the 20th century.

I wasn't familiar with Caldwell, so Idid a quick search-- they are a RETAILER in Philadelphia:

You may find the manufacturer marks on the inside of the case.

scott
  4. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Sorry for the poor link-- I yield to the immense knowledge of phildaveal....

scott
  5. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Here is a link to phildaveal's wiki paste (unattributed, but I won't question your knowledge) on F.E. Caldwell of NYC:

While the Co. certainly may be related, I thought the discussion was about the Philadelphia firm of "J.E. Caldwell".

scott

6. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    What is the source for: "Edward F. was a big part of the JE Caldwell firm, which worked together."

scott
  7. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    What book?

scott
  8. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Book information?

scott
  9. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Several online clock resources cite "J.E. Caldwell & Co." as a retailer of clock. No source (that I have found) refers to them as manufacturers-- specific mention is made of clocks made in England and France, that they then retailed.

No mention is made of a connection to the later NY firm (nor is any connection mentioned in wiki).

scott
  10. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Book information?
  11. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Odd that a book title and source for: "Edward F. was a big part of the JE Caldwell firm, which worked together" has still not been provided.

scott
  12. pops52 pops52, 2 years ago
    Great clock!
  13. scottvez scottvez, 10 months ago

scott
  14. Manikin Manikin, 10 months ago
  15. scottvez scottvez, 10 months ago
    Nice try!

scott
  16. Manikin Manikin, 10 months ago
    Well I did try anyway so we can move past this Scott .
  17. scottvez scottvez, 10 months ago
    PDAM made comments about me in his posts.

I RESPONDED-- and that has upset you? So now YOU think it is important to "move past this". How about encouraging PDAM to "not go there"?

I make it a habit to avoid PDAM, but I will RESPOND to HIS negative comments.

scott
  18. solver solver, 10 months ago
    From a National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Message Board post:
    "... I am actually surprised that there is not more detailed information on the clocks by E. F. Caldwell (not to be confused with the jeweler, J. E. Caldwell)."

The book "Philadelphia and Popular Philadelphians," Philadelphia: The North American, 1891, page 125, does not mention any association of a "Edward F. Caldwell with the firm J. E. Caldwell & Co.