Any info on these?

In Glassware > Northwood Glass > Show & Tell.
Northwood Glass24 of 64Northwood Beaded Drape BowlGrandma's Northwood Berry Dishes

Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
aldo78aldo78 loves this.
Shawnl86Shawnl86 loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Fate4747
(1 item)

These dishes have been passed down through generations of women. I have been told they may be Northwood but do not have markings. They also appear to be the Louis XV pattern but again I cannot confirm this. My family and I have been seeking info on these dishes for years. We have only ever seen a picture of one other piece in an outdated northwood custard glass book but no real information was provided. If anyone can help or point us in the right direction, I would be so thankful.

Comments

1. twentiethc, 1 year ago
    This is definitely the Northwood Louis XV pattern, and these are legitimate Northwood shapes for that pattern. I have never seen this blue treatment before. I have seen lighter blue highlights on the raised decoration, but never this deep blue "negative space" coloration. Do you know if it is original coloration, or maybe modified later?

The flower is typically gilt, and often there are other gilt highlights as well.
  2. Fate4747, 1 year ago
    This set actually belonged to my fathers grandmother or great grandmother. They were passed down with the China cabinet they were stored in. This is the original color of the pieces. They have never been tampered with. As I stated in my post, we have seen a picture of one piece in an old northwood book just stated it was made in this color. Someone had suggested that the Fenton museum may hold a piece as well. We have basically an entire set which is not all pictured. Only one piece in the set has a spot of damage due to age. Because these were passed to me and I would like to leave them to my daughter and generations to come, I am trying to make sure they are insured in our home and well taken care of. I just really have no idea how to prove what they are or value them in any way as I can't find another reference. Thank you so much for your insight. At least now we have a confirmed suspicion on them being northwood and Louis xv.
  3. twentiethc, 1 year ago
    The only mystery for me is the color. I've never seen it; not even in a book. Not all Northwood was marked; but just to be sure, did you look on the interior as well as the underside of each piece? In case you were not aware, many Northwood pieces are signed on the interior.
  4. Fate4747, 1 year ago
    Nope. No markings that we can see. I found one other example in my search on worthpoint. Apparently sold years ago. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-northwood-louis-xv-custard-blue-stained-spooner
    I guess it's a start. Do you know of anyone who may be a bit of an expert in northwood or who has they ability to appraise such items?
  5. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    The dish on the right looks the same as one that belonged to my great grandmother.
    What are the dimensions of it?
    The one belonging to our family is brown with white/cream unpainted highlights.
  6. Paul71 Paul71, 12 months ago
    Northwood's Louis XV are known in an all over brown stain, and I've also seen pink and blue stain. This blue coloring is original.
  7. Shawnl86 Shawnl86, 11 months ago
    Absolutely an Amazing Treasure!