Broken carved bakelite rose brooch shows original color!

In Costume Jewelry > Bakelite Costume Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Bakelite Costume Jewelry57 of 102Polka dot green bakelite bracelet and earringsFunny Bakelite fruit earrings

Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
toolate2toolate2 loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
TheRoperTheRoper loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.

Posted 9 months ago

Newtimes

I finaly had time to take some more pictures of my jewelry, and here I am.
I bought this bakelite carved rose brooch some years ago. The c-claps had broken off when I bought it so it landed in my repair box. Two weeks ago I finally had some material to repair the brooch and I started to take off the old broken clasp. The original c-clasp was drilled in the back so I had to use some force. As you can see I totally ruined the brooch! (I wont be repairing jewelry anymore any time soon).
You can see one corner broke off and it shows the most ugly bright white color. It looks like ordinary plastic you can buy in those cheap market places!
I just had to show you guys. This bright white is the original color this brakelite brooch had when it was made all those years ago!
I knew bakelite changes color but I never imagined the original color to be just this bright.
I could put it in the sunlight for some months and I'm sure the white would fade to its more yummie yellow mustardy color. But I wont do that. I just kept this brooch in a dark cupbord for two weeks so you can all see it.
Oh and I tested it with simichrome and I did the rub test. I'm 100% sure its bakelite and old.

Comments

1. SEAN68 SEAN68, 9 months ago
    Hello there Newtimes , what a beautiful brooch and sorry it broke and secondly what a beautiful picture of you on your profile:)
  2. AmberRose AmberRose, 9 months ago
    Fasinating. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing and a bummer it broke on you.
  3. Newtimes Newtimes, 9 months ago
    Thanks Sean68 and AmberRose for loving my story. I just had to show you, I was amazed when I saw it.
    Thanks btw Sean for loving my profile picture ;-)
  4. SEAN68 SEAN68, 9 months ago
    your very welcome Newtimes:)
  5. Agram.m Agram.m, 9 months ago
    A nice profile of a nice lady and what a find this stunning change of color of Bakelite? What could cause this?
  6. Newtimes Newtimes, 9 months ago
    Thanks Agram for your nice comment. The reason why bakelite changes color is because they added different additives to get different colors or to get more heat resistant or mechanical or electrical strength .
    They added weird things like paper, cotton, glass and I ve heard even asbestos (asbest) to it. That created an instability and thats why over time bakelite changes color.
    I hope this helps and you understand? Anders mail ik het je wel in het nederlands.
    Grtz, Newtimes
  7. Newtimes Newtimes, 9 months ago
    Thanks a lot bratjdd and Theroper for loving my story.
  8. Newtimes Newtimes, 9 months ago
    Thanks toolate2 for the love
  9. valentino97 valentino97, 9 months ago
    I've broken some bakelite too and was convinced not to mess w/it too much because it can be brittle. Maybe you can glue this on top of a plain contrast color bakelite button or something....re-purposed I think is the term. I only repurpose if the item is damaged. Thanks for educating us on the color change - wow! I wouldn't have thought this would be white originally. I knew that most yellow and mustard was white.
  10. Newtimes Newtimes, 9 months ago
    You are right valentino, i will be more careful in the future. I thought bakelite was a pretty hard material but of course I have seen morethan a few broken bracelets. Maybe i can use it to repair a bakelite pendant i have with a missing piece. I ll wait till i get some more courage. Thx for the advice