Chinese Chess set.Bought in Hong Kong 70's

In Games > Chess Sets > Show & Tell.
Chess Sets39 of 90 # 13829262 - Inlaid Wood Table	$29.99	1	$29.99  Chess table from IndiaHuge Asian Chess set in wood SSP Co. box  all for $7.00!  Maybe good!  or maybe not good!

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
tom61375tom61375 loves this.
sarahoffsarahoff loves this.
toracattoracat loves this.
ZowieZowie loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
Songwriter53Songwriter53 loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

ATTWOOD

I love the tiles on the chess set.They depict Chinese scenes such as chinese cherry blossom trees and mountains.The chess pieces are carved stone.I'm not sure what type.They aren't soapstone though.

Comments

1. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Wow, I lived in Hong Kong from 1969 to 79!!! Loved it there. Nice set!
  2. Zowie Zowie, 1 year ago
    That I can help you with as I own a set myself or believe I still do I thought I had a picture to put down myself & was just looking for it. Getting back to what it is made of it's called Soap Rock can chip very easy & not something I have seen often as for era sorry I cannot help been trying to find that out myself. Good luck on your great item.
  3. ATTWOOD ATTWOOD, 1 year ago
    I don't think they are soap rock.I have a few other things made from it and this is not like that at all.Leaves no waxy residue like soapstone or rock.This was kept in a glass cabinet all it's life and was bought in 70s new I think.
    This is the 2nd one I have owned the 1st had wooden pieces and I sold it because I liked this one better.I sold it to someone in Melbourne & I believe I saw it on "The Block" as a prop.Unles identical.Thanks for comments
  4. Zowie Zowie, 1 year ago
    How about we agree to disagree if I still have mine & when it can be pulled out from were ever it is packed I'll get a photo of it but do not have a board only pieces. I still love it. It's also possible that the person that told us ours was soap rock was wrong but they have been dealing in this line for some time & since move have lost contact.
  5. ATTWOOD ATTWOOD, 1 year ago
    yes Zowie.I think i have seen soap stone ones with the same board many years ago.I hope you find yours.
  6. Zowie Zowie, 1 year ago
    I asked my partner & he told me we never posted up so ours was sold would of loved to have kept it. Oh well must be better things to come in time.
  7. jwendell222, 3 months ago
    Hi Rose, I used this posting as a reference on a newly posted chess set and stopped to read the discussion. I have a set of these, much older than the ones posted on CW, and in grey/mauve and black soapstone, each piece signed on the base. I have a collection of soapstone, posted some a while back, and I know the material. I have not had the oportunity to handle a set with the green side, so I can't speak to it from photos. But it looks like no soapstone I've encountered. You might want to take a look at the newest chess posting. Best wishes, Jim
  8. jwendell222, 3 months ago
    Oops. http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/136373-i-love-chess-and-i-love-this-board-i-ju