Need Help on this one!!!

In Costume Jewelry > Costume Jewelry Necklaces > Show & Tell.
Costume Jewelry Necklaces176 of 514Green Bakelite NecklaceBubble Necklaces

DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.
MattyGMattyG loves this.
NewtimesNewtimes loves this.
toracattoracat loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

DrFluffy

This necklace was purchased with a few other items and I am really not sure what it's made of. Although it looks like wood, that I am sure, is not. Could it be bone? Ivory? or?? The clasp seems to an older style. Any information is highly appreciated.

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    they are very beautiful Nadia:)
  2. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 1 year ago
    Thanks Sean... Any thoughts what they might be. I really can't figure it out. They are not plastic or wood. So I am thinking some other organic material?!
  3. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 1 year ago
    Thanks mustangtony and Vetraio50... Any idea what this could be?
  4. chorusart, 1 year ago
    Could it be bone or possible even nut?
  5. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 1 year ago
    Thanks chorusart and toracat...
  6. aeon aeon, 1 year ago
  7. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the information aeon.
  8. Stillwater Stillwater, 1 year ago
    That is DEFINITELY ivory, no doubt about it. I've been buying ivory for years, take my word for it. Old ivory is very distinctive. It stains like that from sweat and oil. You can see what are called Schreger lines, which is actually a type of chatoyancy like you see in "star" corundum (sapphire and ruby) and tiger's eye.

Absolutely 100% guaranteed ivory. I'm surprised that no one else told you
  9. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 1 year ago
    Thanks Stillwater for this information. I will do some research on cleaning and maintainence.
  10. Stillwater Stillwater, 1 year ago
    You can just clean it with a damp rag. Its already been stained, there isn't any way to remove that. I quite like the look of stained ivory though, makes it look old.

Other than the staining, ivory is PRETTY stable. You can probably get it wet or sweaty and the color won't change noticeably in your lifetime. It takes decades for that color to develop.

One thing I should mention, be VERY careful not to get that string wet. I can't tell you how many old strings I've had that IMMEDIATELY break when they get a TINY bit of moisture on them.
  11. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 1 year ago
    Stillwater, you are awesome... Thank you so very much for solving this mystery and all the additional info.
  12. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 1 year ago