Photo Me 1967 Black Virgin Mountain, Vietnam Tay Ninh And 1968 with my Triumph, Calif. and Ft. Carson Colo. top of Pikes Peak

In Military and Wartime > Vietnam War > Show & Tell and Photographs > Show & Tell.
Vietnam War13 of 70Dad, a computer expert in VietnamPhoto of me!  Taken by Beautiful Nurse! I am 18,  Field Hospital Vietnam 1968

filmnetfilmnet loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
freiheitfreiheit loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
gargoylecollectorgargoylecollector loves this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
ThoscahabaThoscahaba loves this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.

Posted 12 months ago

toracat

Black Virgin Mountain (Vietnamese: Núi Bà ?en meaning "Black Lady Mountain", Khmer: Phnom Chol Baden) is a mountain in the Tay Ninh Province of Vietnam. To the Vietnamese the mountain is the center of a myth about Bà ?en, a local deity of Khmer origin. During the Vietnam War the area around the mountain was very active as the Ho Chi Minh Trail ended a few kilometers west across the Cambodian border. As such there were many battles and American and Vietnamese soldiers based in the region remember the prominent landmark.[1] After the war the mountain turned from a battle ground to being famous for the its beautiful temples and theme park. HELLO! Yes many battles around this mountain, AFTER I returned I bought a Triumph Spitfire! Drove from Calif. to Colo. Ft. Carson and also to top of Pikes Peak over 14,000 ft.! I loved this car! Thanks for looking!!! Don OH I paid about $2400. for car!! And the mountain had a Khmer or Cambodian myth with monks and things! I think!

Comments

1. toracat toracat, 12 months ago
    I am so dirty!! haha It got to the point I felt itchy and bad when I was clean??? oh well!
  2. vetraio50 vetraio50, 12 months ago
    That Triumph looks immaculate! Cool! Very cool!
  3. toracat toracat, 12 months ago
    I was 18 and back from Vietnam, A 2nd Lt. asked "How can an 18 yr. old buy a car like that?" I answered "not from Army money! I told him I had a paper route in Ca.! Made $60. a month and Army paid $87.50 m0. when I entered! I also did other work for my dad and other neighbors! He said try driving it in Vietnam! When you get there! told him, You be careful, I have been there done that, and it is not pleasant! It was a great car, dirty after going up Pikes Peak! Maybe 14,300+ feet or maybe 14,410, rings a bell? haha
  4. toracat toracat, 12 months ago
    The safe, scenic highway provides you the opportunity to enjoy Pikes Peak at your leisure. From the gateway at an elevation of 7,400 feet, you’ll encounter some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world as you wind your way through an alpine wonderland of scenic beauty, mountain reservoirs, beyond timberline, overtaking the clouds…all along the way to the 14,115 foot summit of America’s most famous mountain. OOPS 14,115 ft.!!!
  5. AmberRose AmberRose, 12 months ago
    What happened to the car?
  6. toracat toracat, 12 months ago
    Simon took it out to pick up a Hot Lady! Maybe YOU! Joking! I sold it as I went to Europe for a year and before that bought a VW camper and went all over US and Canada.
  7. toracat toracat, 12 months ago
    I became a Hippie!!!
  8. AmberRose AmberRose, 12 months ago
    I was wondering if Simon wrecked it!
  9. toracat toracat, 12 months ago
    He wished I had kept it so he could take you for a drive in the Chicago countryside!
  10. AmberRose AmberRose, 12 months ago
    Better for you and I to cruise Lake Shore Drive!
  11. toracat toracat, 11 months ago
    Good Idea! maybe check out W Hotel!! Whiskey Sky Bar! and WOW Room!
  12. freiheit freiheit, 11 months ago
    This is all so interesting for me. When I was growing up in East Germany, we were shown almost on daily basis propaganda films and news reports about the Vietnam war. Although the war was far away, we could not ignore it. No need to say what kind of spin the communists put on it.
    Your posting put a human face on everything. It is very touching. I hope I didn't offend you in any way.
  13. toracat toracat, 11 months ago
    Thank you, I was against the war, you can not force people to be free! They did not like the French, (Most of them), and did not like us either! We had NATO in Europe and SEATO, South East Asia Treaty Org. All countries sent troops, it was not just us! but we need to take responsibility as we were the largest country.
  14. freiheit freiheit, 11 months ago
    Thanks, toracat. I have great respect for you.
  15. toracat toracat, 11 months ago
    You are welcome!!
  16. petey petey, 11 months ago
    My first car! and my Auntie still has one, used every summer.
  17. toracat toracat, 11 months ago
    Hi petey! It was a good running car! The way I drove at age 18! I could have used one of your helmets!! I will study later your helmets!! fascinating!! You must have one of the largest collections in England and the universe!
  18. petey petey, 11 months ago
    Thanks toracat, yes I think the collection has got bigger than even I imagined!!. By the way I read a huge number of books on the Vietnam war, the best seem to be written by those that were there. I have no political point of view, but the utmost respect for those who served.
  19. toracat toracat, 11 months ago
    Thank you! There is a book about my unit called Unfortunate Sons by L. D. James, about the 8 minute ambush when 49 members of Charlie Company died in 8 minutes. I was in hospital either Vietnam or Japan when this happened, I posted Nicholas Cutinha, my friend who received Congressional Medal of Honor on this site and photo also on Vietnam Wall for his family. Funny I have only read about 15 pages of this book but is very accurate.
  20. petey petey, 11 months ago
    Thank you for that toracat, this is one book I have not read, soon solve that problem, I have sent off for a copy already!!
  21. toracat toracat, 11 months ago
    Thanks, I really only have read parts of it, in war sometimes you are lucky, sometimes dumb wrong decisions by people up in the air, not even on the ground, and during TET Offensive we seem outnumbered and they were coming from Hanoi, well trained troops, and are best left after 1 year! Time was over and new green soldier, maybe right from jail?! or? Thanks Don