Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Sommerso Bullicante Italian Glass Cigar Bowl - more info?

In Art Glass > Murano and Italian Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Recent activity109858 of 180834Beautiful Victorian Scrapbook on Muslin from Oakland, California ~1903Help identify Artist on this old oil painting
Love it
Like it

VintagefranVintagefran loves this.
charcoalcharcoal loves this.
nldionnenldionne loves this.
SEAN68SEAN68 loves this.
AimathenaAimathena loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
gargoylecollectorgargoylecollector loves this.
aldo78aldo78 loves this.
DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
See 8 more
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 4 years ago


(2703 items)

I have no idea, but it looks like a Murano glass ashtray. i'm not too crazy over the colors, but it's large and in great condition.

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 4 years ago
    It's a beauty. Could well be Seguso?
  2. LOUMANAL LOUMANAL, 4 years ago
    The bubbles pattern is called "Bullicante". BOB
  3. aldo78 aldo78, 4 years ago
    I have one like this to & I think they are whitefriars have a look at this website!!!
  4. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 4 years ago
    thanks for the feedback vetraio50, loumanal and aldo78. i found a very similar one called a 'Sommerso Bullicante Italian Glass Cigar Bowl'. it is very large for an ashtray, so this makes a lot of sense. i don't yet know whether 'Sommerso' is a particular company or a style...
  5. vetraio50 vetraio50, 4 years ago
    Sommerso is a technique which has become a 'style'.
    It means submerged in Italian.
    A colour is submerged within the glass rather than overlaid.
    As such it is rather recent in glass making history.
    It dates to the 1930's.

    Sommerso (lit. "submerged" in Italian), or "sunken glasses", is a form of artistic Murano glass that has layers of contrasting colors (typically two), which are formed by dipping the object in molten glass; the outermost layer, or casing, is often clear. Sommerso was developed in Murano during the late thirties and was made popular by Seguso d'Arte in the fifties. This process is a popular technique for vases, and is sometimes used for sculptures.
  6. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 4 years ago
    thanks much vetraio50! it must have been very difficult to maintain the bullicante when submerging one color glass into the other. come to think of it, bullicante looks pretty difficult to do.

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.