Share your favorites on Show & Tell

do you know what this is

Recent activity152094 of 180546Engine OilOriginal Phillips 66 Letters/Sign
Love it
Like it

officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
JamesJames likes this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 7 years ago


(10 items)

found this item along with a old time saloon it locks together how no clue to what it is

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. tikiray tikiray, 7 years ago
    I hope someone knows what this is because I haven't a clue in the world, but I sure would like to know! Its neat!
  2. YardSaleDave, 7 years ago
    Interesting piece. Usually when something has a split case like that, it would indicate some kind of mold, in fact the stamped numbers look like mold numbers. But just what for?????
  3. doggonelucky76, 7 years ago
    its sold wood
  4. YardSaleDave, 7 years ago
    Maybe mold is the wrong term, I was thinking maybe a form, it is in two pieces, correct?
  5. doggonelucky76, 7 years ago
    yes its 2 peice sold wood that lock together never seen one before
  6. Vestaswind Vestaswind, 7 years ago
    If it was mounted to a wall would it be big enough to put bottles on? I'm wondering if it was attached to something that matched. Weird.
  7. Roy, 7 years ago
    It looks like the wooden mould, or form, used to make some sort of cast-iron or other cast-metal product. The mould would be placed in sand. The sand is compacted around the mould. The mould is removed leaving a void in the sand. Molten metal is poured into the void to create a casting that matches the shape of the mould.
  8. MsDowAntiques MsDowAntiques, 7 years ago
    I agree with Roy and Dave - it looks like the sand molds that our Lima Locomotive Works used to make train parts.
  9. Radio Ron, 7 years ago
    That's exactly what it is, it's a form for sand casting.
    Made of fine grain mahogany, notice the way the corners are filleted to
    make the edges smooth.

    Ron w4ron

  10. Dave, 7 years ago
    It is called a wooden pratten for sand casting, can nnot be sure but there could be some core boxes missing that would help tell what the finle shape would be.
  11. Meg, 7 years ago
    Per haps the core boxes are stored upside down, OR ,If something can be run thru the 2 pieces, it could be a candle maket. Many bars used numerous candles, and had rooms for rent that used them. Cheaper than molding candles, the owner would purchase whole honey combs. after getting all the honey out, the honeycomb was rolled as thin as a paper and then hand rolled into candles. I don't know....maybe roots, such as all depends on whether you can run anything thru and between the 2 pieces. Great looking piece.
  12. doggonelucky76, 7 years ago
    thanks everyone for the info

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.