Posted 8 years ago
Well, a year later I have finally finished this trunk (except for the tray that my husband is building). I originally posted it last September. To my defense, I have completed some other trunks between now and then. I was able to find some of the original paint on the embossed tin inside the edge of the trunk. It was a metallic green - very bright. I'm not a big fan of green and it would have clashed with the colors in my house. So, I chose a metallic blue, mixed with metallic silver and metallic black to get this color. I left the inside of the lid original. I stained the wooden slats and painted the body of the trunk a flat black. I used a dremel tool to polish the locks, hasps, end caps, slat clamps, etc. I did not apply any paint to any of them. I then applied a hand-rubbed satin polyurethane to the whole trunk.
The last picture shows what the trunk looked like when I found it in the basement of a home at an estate sale. It had been there a very long time and had quite a bit of rust on the embossed tin. It took a lot of time with the drill and the dremel to get it off. I'm very glad to finally have it done!