A Kansas Fossilized Fish or Crawdaddy?

In Animals > Fossils > Show & Tell.
Fossils51 of 63A Quest Through The Painted Forest, The Petrified Forest, and Quratzite AZMegalodon tooth

geo26egeo26e loves this.
RonMRonM loves this.
tom61375tom61375 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

AboundingO…

We have numerous old rock pits here in SEK, and most of them I have hunted.

This comes from one located at a near-by small town. Now closed to the public, due to drugs and parties there, it used to be a popular swim hole for us kids. I discovered that there were many crinoids and fossil corals, but this is the only fossilized fish thingy I have ever found anywhere. I did find one fossilized sea cucumber, which is somewhere, but lost.

This is exactly as I found it.

Identity? Age? Fish or crawdaddy...other?

Where the heck does one place fossils or meteorites? LOL - Fishing works for me on this, until told

Comments

1. SEAN68 SEAN68, 6 years ago
      interesting find find:)!
    2. AboundingOddities AboundingOddities, 6 years ago
      Thank you Sean. It's different to what I mostly find in those hunts
    3. SEAN68 SEAN68, 6 years ago
      your very welcome AboundingOddities:) yes it is:) very different:)
    4. Aimathena Aimathena, 6 years ago
      Resembles a ginger root =^)
    5. AboundingOddities AboundingOddities, 6 years ago
      Aimanthena...if I ever find a ginger root with eyes, I am stopping the magic mushrooms...LOL..thanks for stopping by
    6. Aimathena Aimathena, 6 years ago
      LmboOoOo! That might be a good idea ;^)
    7. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 6 years ago
      Bet after a few tokes of this Jamaican, I can see a ginger root with eyes! maybe even more. Probably more!
    8. AboundingOddities AboundingOddities, 6 years ago
      LOL...I should'a stopped at silence...thanks for the stop by Blunderbuss
    9. Aimathena Aimathena, 6 years ago
      LoL!! Lucas
    10. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 6 years ago
      I promise that it's just a "stop by". I also now see a miniature boars head. I'm not the only one. It is sat. nite! Just joking, - I think.
    11. AboundingOddities AboundingOddities, 6 years ago
      LOL..don't I wish, Blunderbuss!
      LOL...I would hope youre enjoying your sat night, but that's apparent...
    12. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 6 years ago
      JayHow. Good memories when they are young. I repeat, "When they are young"!
    13. AboundingOddities AboundingOddities, 6 years ago
      Thanks Jay and Blunderbuss...I wanted to lock down my 3 girls the day they hit 12...grandmas and moms won out...then they discovered I was right..boys? slap em upside the head...girls, ???? My girls used to go with me too...my eldest still hunts fossils alone...swears she has a turtle (a sandstone she broke in two...LOL). Her excitement disallows me to tell her it's a broke in two sandstone...but she did find an American sloth claw a few years ago, which is awesome for her
    14. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 6 years ago
      Have you posted the sloth claw?
    15. AboundingOddities AboundingOddities, 6 years ago
      To pry it from her and bring it here to photog might be a long aired time...she's always at work or on the run...I'll try though...even though I am fairly certain it is a claw, I'm not a paleontologist...she'd let me, just catching her long enough, Blunderbuss
    16. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 6 years ago
      Don't know where you live but the area I grew up in, N. AL & N.GA, has loads of fossils(mostly sea shells, ferns etc.) but S.AL has loads of things like Megalodon teeth in the area around Dothan & Enterprise.
    17. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 6 years ago
      Don't forget the tornado season!
    18. AboundingOddities AboundingOddities, 6 years ago
      SE kans, blunderbuss...we have a lot of old rock quarries, mostly just corals and crinoids, but we find land creatures and fish also. My first brachiopod casting I hollered like an idiot, proclaiming I had found a million year old pearl. I still have that little thing. The neatest I ever found was a sea cucumber, but then I had the brilliant idea to cut it out of the extra stone............didn't look like a cucumber after that........ouch! We'll match you tornado for tornado, and raise you straight-line winds............but then ya'all have those little things called huricanes don't you?

Poor Jay, winter in Ohio......it's cold enough here
    19. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 6 years ago
      We have the Big H's in St. Maarten but few tornadoes. Actually, the largest tornado I've ever seen was here on the French side but in the harbour & moved out to sea. Before you ask, I've lost count of the tornadoes I've seen or heard passing close or overhead. Saw 4 at once driving E. into Atlanta once in diff. stages of touching down. They like to follow waterways & that's where you find the Megalodon teeth in S. AL. In AL, you can stop at any road-cut thru shale & find loads of fossils.
    20. AboundingOddities AboundingOddities, 6 years ago
      Sounds interesting...that's more tornados than any place needs at once. They take out towns here, even parts of this town on rare occasion. I love road cuts. If I ever find myself driving through your section of the country I'll have to watch for some.