Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Help Identify This Tool

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Papajack's loves1 of 6Not a wood planemysterious brass scale from somewhere
Love it
Like it

RustfarmRustfarm loves this.
lzenglishlzenglish loves this.
PapajackPapajack loves this.
jonimajonima loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
See 4 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 8 years ago

    (1 item)

    Need help identifying this tool. When the handle is depressed, the jaw slides closed, leaving a 1/8" hole. The tool is 10" long, with the words "PAT:NOY.3:1381" (the last 3 digits are difficult to read.) The tool looks like is was originally painted black. Thanks, Joe

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    Antique Cabinet Furniture Key Hollow Barrel Skeleton Key
    Antique Cabinet Furniture Key Hollo...
    Antique Vintage Stanley Bedrock 604 Carpenters  Wood Plane with Aluminum Handle
    Antique Vintage Stanley Bedrock 604...
    OLD Stanley Bedrock Bed Rock No. 604 Hand Plane Tool
    OLD Stanley Bedrock Bed Rock No. 60...
    STANLEY Sweetheart NO.55 Combination Plane & 4 Boxes Cutters
    STANLEY Sweetheart NO.55 Combinatio...
    Antique Cabinet Furniture Key Hollow Barrel Skeleton Key
    Antique Cabinet Furniture Key Hollo...
    See all


    1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 8 years ago
      Looks like a blade slides & leaves just round hole when the handle is squeezed. That should make it a wire stripper.
    2. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 8 years ago
      I will take a stab at this. I also believe it is a wire stripper but I think it also had another name. It doesn't appear to be adjustable except for replacing the blades. I tend to think this was used on knob and tube wire.
    3. Joe123, 8 years ago
      I agree that it looks like a wire stripper, and i looked to see if I could find a picture on a wire stripper like this, but was unable. The thing about it that seems odd is the flat bottom, like it was to be used resting on a flat surface. That doesn't seem like a wire stripper to me. You are right also, that the hole is not adjustable. Thanks for your thoughts.
    4. jonima jonima, 8 years ago
      My first thought was old, dog nail clippers, but the opening is probably too small for that.
    5. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 8 years ago
      I still believe you will find out it is a strip and crimp tool for splicing wire. This one only accommodates one size wire unless it takes other inserts. Either way keep us updated when you find out to your satisfaction.
    6. lzenglish lzenglish, 7 years ago
      I don't think it is a wire stripper, or animal toe nail trimmer, but it could work as both of those (imo). To Me, this tool looks to be made to sit on a flat surface, and shear off a protrusion, such as rivet, or nail head etc. Joe123: Do some more wire brushing on the numbers, and use white chalk, or pencil lead transfer, to try and at least get the 4 digit date number, as it looks 1800's to me. Whatever it is, it looks to be very elaborate, and well made.
    7. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 7 years ago
      Been a yr. since this came up, but got me thinking again. You may be right if it is thin enough on 1 side to get very close to a surface.
    8. TallCakes TallCakes, 7 years ago
      possibly reads PAT:NOV. 3, 1881
    9. lzenglish lzenglish, 7 years ago
      After looking at it again, it appears to NOT close completely, so maybe it is a wire stripper or other device? I would ask Joe to show it in the closed position, but I think he has gone fishing on us. "TC", I pulled up the 1881 date on "DATAMP", and nothing that looks close to it, was issued a patent for this date.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.