Posted 7 years ago
The famed "Dodge Star" (top wire in photo) was patented by Thomas H. Dodge, of Worcester, Massachusetts November 29, 1881, patent #250,219.
That same year he formed a partnership with Charles G. Washburn and organized the Worcester Barbed Wire Fence Company. It is unclear whether or not they produced the "Dodge Star", but it seems likely. For whatever reason very little was produced and now it is one of the rarest and most coveted barbed wire for collectors.
Dodge's earlier patent #201,507 March 19, 1878 was assigned to the Washburn & Moen Company of Worcester. The three other wires in the photo are variations of the design.
Dodge & Washburn patented an improved four point barbed wire and a machine for its manufacture. The star wire made Dodge famous, but the four point wire made him rich.
Dodge and his wife Eliza became generous donors to many organizations. They donated 13 acres of land to establish Dodge Park in Worcester in 1889. Following his death February 12, 1910 a portion of his estate was used to establish the "Eliza D. and Cora J. Dodge Hospital Fund". This fund continues to provide for needy women and children.