Posted 6 years ago
As mentioned before the Millers had a taste for the Gothic! In Paris they collected this card of the Gothic chapel that is located on the Île de la Cité in the heart of Paris, France. It dates back to some time after 1239 when it was commissioned by King Louis IX of France as his personal chapel and to house his collection of Relics of the Passion. Among his collection was Christ's Crown of Thorns - one of the most important relics in medieval Christendom. These relics are now housed in the Cathedral of Notre Dame.
The chapel was speedily built between 1245 and 1248 by the unknown master builder who constructed the Cathedral in Amiens.
The chapel was linked to the Kings apartments in the Palais de la Cité. It was renovated in 1485 and survived a fire in 1776 - not to mention the ravages of the Revolution!
The building is on two levels and is more than 100 feet long and 50 wide. The single spire in centre rises to a height of 246 feet!
Within there are some of the finest stained glass in the world. They depict 1,113 scenes from the Old Testament and the Passion of Christ. The lower chapel is decorated with an Annunciation, the oldest wall painting in Paris.
This is a postcard published by N.D. Phot No. 42: Neurdein et Cie (1860’s-1919) Paris, France.