Posted 6 years ago
- "The War of the Worlds" - by H.G. Wells - Copyright 1897 by H.G. Wells
- Copyright 1898 Harper & Brothers / Copyright 1926 by Herbert G. Wells
- Published by Grosset & Dunlap, New York / inscription Christmas, 1939
- Hardcover book with dust cover / 292 pages / no illustrations
- (blue cloth-covers, red title and author print on front and spine)
** The War of the Worlds is a science fiction novel by English author H. G. Wells. It first appeared in serialized form in 1897, published simultaneously in Pearson's Magazine in the UK and Cosmopolitan magazine in the US. -- The first appearance in book form was published by William Heinemann of London in 1898. - It is the first-person narrative of an unnamed protagonist in Surrey and that of his younger brother in London as Earth is invaded by Martians. Written between 1895 and 1897, it is one of the earliest stories that detail a conflict between mankind and an extraterrestrial race. The novel is one of the most commented-on works in the science fiction canon.