Udall & Ballou. hatpins w/original case

In Fine Jewelry > Hatpins > Show & Tell.
Hatpins48 of 93Hat pins, a whole bunch display.Precious jadeite hat pin.

ElisabethanElisabethan loves this.
Ted_StraubTed_Straub loves this.
vintagelampvintagelamp loves this.
GeodeJemGeodeJem likes this.
Rick55Rick55 loves this.
TreyTrey loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
antiqueroseantiquerose loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.

valentino97

Wanted to share these w/Kyra. I hoped they were yellow diamonds!! Lol and wink. Or maybe just weapons? A beautiful pair of white to pale yellow citrine or topaz? faceted hatpins, 7.25" in original box -from Udall & Ballou.

Here is what I found online from the Hancocks-London website:

"Udall & Ballou -1888 founded in New York was one of the finest New York jewellers of the early 20th Century. In its advertisements, they mentioned locations in Palm Beach, Florida; on Bellevue Avenue in Newport, Rhode Island; and at rue Lafayette, Paris. The company also maintained a location on Fifth Avenue in New York.
1920s they had become one of the most prosperous firms of the period

1939 For the World’s Fair in New York, they contributed jewellery which was abstract in design and architectural in effect. They were one of the few manufacturing jewellers identified with the famous “flower style” of the 1930s. 1940s During World War II, the firm closed due to the difficult financial situation."

I am not sure if they were worn much because box is perfect. Some lovely Edwardian lady received these as a gift maybe?

Any more info appreciated.

Comments

1. kyratango kyratango, 3 years ago
    A pair! And with the box! Good !!!

For the stones, as totally closed setting, they could rather be crystal with colored foil (just a guess from what is usually seen)

For weapons, some ladies used them so, lol
    One poke right into the heart and you got the perfect murder ;-)

Edwardian is the right era (long stems!)

Thanks Val for posting them!
  2. valentino97 valentino97, 3 years ago
    Yes Kyra - probably just crystal - darn it! I just did my taxes and hoped to retire on these. Not to be I guess.
  3. valentino97 valentino97, 3 years ago
    Thanks AGH and Kevin for loving too.
  4. valentino97 valentino97, 3 years ago
    Thanks Mike for the love!
  5. antiquerose antiquerose, 3 years ago
    Stunning!!

...and Complete with Box............< BONUS >
  6. valentino97 valentino97, 3 years ago
    Thanks Rose for your nice comment.
  7. Bluboi Bluboi, 3 years ago
    Original box! Yay! I wonder if the Ballou was associated with the Ballou Manufacturing Company (Providence, RI)?
  8. kyratango kyratango, 3 years ago
    Heard you and just posted more pins :-)
  9. valentino97 valentino97, 3 years ago
    Hello Bluboi - I tried to do some more searching this morning but the only link I can find is that Udall and Ballou had a store in Rhode Island. My instinct? Yes, they are related but I can't find the connection. The padded box is pretty fab isn't it? Perhaps the lady was on vacation and her husband wanted to buy her a little gift and best presented in the padded case?
  10. valentino97 valentino97, 3 years ago
    Thanks friends for enjoying: Kevin, Karen, Trey, Rick and GeodeJem!

Look forward to the next Kyra collection - thanks my friend!