Mary of the Sacred Heart plaster wall hanging

In Pottery > Show & Tell and Figurines > Chalkware > Show & Tell.
Pottery6426 of 11785Ashtray - Italy?Royal Delft Carel Fabritius large plate

Lambda55Lambda55 likes this.
Ted_StraubTed_Straub loves this.
Rick55Rick55 loves this.
TreyTrey loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.

valentino97

I believe this is a 1960's chalkware - Mary - she is not as interesting or scary as Philmac's "Joan Crawford" light at top of stairs! I didn't buy the matching Jesus because he looked like a terrorist. Now a few years later, I wish I had. Sorry if I'm offending anyone.

8" x 6".

logo
    Pottery
    AUTH. LARGE 1928 ART DECO ROOKWOOD CALLA LILY 2379 OHIO POTTERY BLUE GLAZE VASE
    AUTH. LARGE 1928 ART DECO ROOKWOOD ...
    $134
    Bitossi Londi Raymor Vtg Mid Century Modern Pottery Bird Stilt Sculpture Italy
    Bitossi Londi Raymor Vtg Mid Centur...
    $560
    Vintage Royal Haeger Pottery Stalking Black Panther Figurine Gold Sticker 13"
    Vintage Royal Haeger Pottery Stalki...
    $50
    7 Antique Blue Newcomb Pottery Vase JM Joseph Meyer PC100 - NO RESERVE - EU1
    7 Antique Blue Newcomb Pottery Vase...
    $765
    logo
    AUTH. LARGE 1928 ART DECO ROOKWOOD CALLA LILY 2379 OHIO POTTERY BLUE GLAZE VASE
    AUTH. LARGE 1928 ART DECO ROOKWOOD ...
    $134

Comments

1. mikelv85 mikelv85, 6 years ago
      She's nice Val :)...Some religious art can be a bit unnerving so I don't think you'll offend anyone. The country they come from has a lot to do with the quality in my opinion. Italy for sure and Spain seem to capture the serenity in their religious art owing to the fact that they are largely Catholic countries. I saw a Jesus plaque the other day and his expression was more like a stoned hippie.... See I didn't get struck by lightening !
    2. philmac51 philmac51, 6 years ago
      She's lovely Val, so serene, and I agree with Mike - some of this work can awful but I want that stoned Jesus!!! I have a very large Italian statue of a praying Madonna which I inherited from an aunt (undergoing a sympathetic restoration). I'm going to post it today and a small St Ursula patron Saint of virgins.
    3. Ivonne Ivonne, 6 years ago
      LOL,terrorist and stoned hippie,I'm trying to imagine and can't stop laughing!
    4. cwacct cwacct, 6 years ago
      Your description and these comments have me laughing. I went to Catholic school, so I am all too familiar... This brought back memories :-)
    5. valentino97 valentino97, 6 years ago
      Thanks mike - these were made in Japan - ha - go figure! Yes, stoned hippie meets terrorist sums up the one I left behind. Catholic school for me grades 1-8 in a very small Midwest town. We had some amazing chalkware Saints statues in the school and church. And....I think Jesus wasn't blonde but he looked pretty darn Midwestern w/long hair. Thanks for enjoying this!
    6. Lambda55, 6 years ago
      Full of Grace ! Full of Grace !
      This reminds of "Pecker" a John Waters movie. Very funny ! Very very entertaining !
      FULL OF GRACE !!!!!!!
    7. valentino97 valentino97, 6 years ago
      Philmac - in the 60's it was popular to put the chalkware Madonna statues in a upended bathtub (shrine) w/flowers around her. In the front yard of course.

I have a lot of great Saint medals that I use in my jewelry in respectable ways. My favorites are St. Joan de Arc, (my middle name for one reason) and the de-sainted St. Chrisopher. (have a great trip!). But of all St. Vincent de Paul (the patron saint of used clothing) is my favorite when hunting for treasures. You might know this already - St. Vincent de Paul, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Amvets are national organizations w/thrift stores across the US.
    8. valentino97 valentino97, 6 years ago
      Ivonne - Yes! quite a combination isn't it?
    9. valentino97 valentino97, 6 years ago
      Thanks cwacct. My school St. Columbkille's (patron saint of lepers?) was really a fun little school. It was so small that 2 grades shared a classroom. Not all the teachers were nuns. The new 8th grade teacher Linda Ames was shocked that her predecessor Mr. Samson had NOT taught us any Math. So we were shamed in 8th grade we had to go back and redo all the 7th grade lessons with them. I think there were 7 girls and 1 boy by the time I was in 8th grade.
    10. Ivonne Ivonne, 6 years ago
      It 's still making me smile:) But I can understand the makers.They wanted to do their TOO best!
    11. valentino97 valentino97, 6 years ago
      Thanks Lambda - I liked that movie Pecker too. There's a good John Waters film "This Filthy World" (2006) that celebrates bad taste.
    12. Lambda55, 6 years ago
      Yeh? I'll have to check it out ! I'm glad u saw Pecker ! Corny but funny ! .& every time I see any kind of plaster moldings of anything ! I say to myself! "Full Of Grace"!! Ventriloquist style !!
    13. Lambda55, 6 years ago
      * Just thought I'd add these ....
      Another of my favorite is "Serial Mom" w/ Kathleen Turner who was perfect for her role !! Very scary !!
      Maybe u saw "True Stories" film w/ John Goodman & David Bryn of Talking Heads
      ? The 2 together could never be more perfect ! Believe it or not ! Wonderful film !
    14. SEAN68 SEAN68, 6 years ago
      BEAUTIFUL!!!
    15. valentino97 valentino97, 6 years ago
      Lambda - Yes on the Serial Mom but no I haven't seen that True Stories movie. I will check it out. They seem like a good combination.

Thanks Sean for the beautiful.

Thanks friends for loving.
    16. tigerchips tigerchips, 6 years ago
      Yeah, i bought one same as this about 10 years ago. As i was was buying it for about 50p (damaged), i thought to myself "Antiques Roadshow said religious items don't sell very well or something like that, i'll buy it anyway", and so guess what flew off the my stall first? Yeah, this plaque.
    17. valentino97 valentino97, 6 years ago
      Did I buy this from you? LOL. There will always be people with a certain sense of style...hee hee, for the weird and wonderful!
    18. tigerchips tigerchips, 6 years ago
      I live in the UK so probably not, lol.