Posted 7 years ago
This wonderful Austro-Hungarian pendant is actually a Carnet de Bal, also called Ballspende or Dance Cards. These were a common ladies accessory in the ballroom dances of the 18-1900s. They contained paper or thin ivory sheets where the ladies could write the melodies and whom they danced with.
This particular one is in revivalist style, imitating a coin or medal that was produced in Kremnitz, Hungary during the 16-19th centuries. It reads S. Georgicus Equitum Patronus, or “Saint George Patron of the Knights”. It is made of silver and plique-a-jour enamel in green, red, blue and purple. It really looks like a church stained glass window against the light.
Marked with the Austrian dog’s head silver mark and G.A.S. for maker Georg Adam Scheid. Made in Vienna around 1900.