Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Unusual miter gauge - Maker? Or Handmade?

In Tools and Hardware > Rules and Rulers > Show & Tell.
Rules and Rulers73 of 139Some Recent Findsmetal folding ruler
Love it
Like it

WhittlerWhittler loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
See 4 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 7 years ago

    (100 items)

    Picked up a group of old tools from the estate of a turn-of-the-century shipwright that included this brass & wood miter gauge of a type I've not seen before. There is no maker's mark I can find now that I've cleaned 100 years of grime & creosote off the brass blades. The compass points appear to be hand written & scribed, but that may be because the originals wore off. The large brass arm pivots while the thinner one slides along the storage groove to marks indicating the degree from 45 to 0 and on to 45 (if that makes any sense). The brass arms are held by a copper pin and the wood appears to be boxwood or something similar.

    Does anyone recognize this style and a possible maker?

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Rules and Rulers
    See all
    Large Lot Of Machine Machinist Tap Die Lathe Drill Bit Ruler Misc Tools
    Large Lot Of Machine Machinist Tap ...
    Huge Lot of Machinists Tools Starrett others Sine Bar Metal Ruler Caliper Wire
    Huge Lot of Machinists Tools Starre...
    Antique Victorian J.Rabone & Sons Birmingham Architects 12
    Antique Victorian J.Rabone & Sons B...
    Large Lot Of Machine Machinist Tap Die Lathe Drill Bit Ruler Misc Tools
    Large Lot Of Machine Machinist Tap ...
    See all


    1. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 7 years ago
      That is an inclinometer rule with a bevel. Used by an architect normally.
    2. Pencil-necked-geek Pencil-necked-geek, 7 years ago
      Thanks for the correct terminology on this tool. As mentioned, I can see no maker's mark. Is that unusual for a tool like this?
    3. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 7 years ago
      If you do some research you will find that quality units are marked and where they are marked. They average guy can get by with dollar store items, a professional needs a bit more accuracy. If you went about cleaning this without knowing what you were doing you may have removed the branding. Stanley tool made different versions of these and the branding wore off very easily as it wasn't etched or engraved, it was a cheap printing.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.