Egyptian Revival Silver Vintage Brooch

In Costume Jewelry > Egyptian Revival Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Egyptian Revival Jewelry52 of 106A Better Look At The Scarab RingEgyptian silver

lee120275lee120275 loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
NevadaBladesNevadaBlades loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
EfesgirlEfesgirl loves this.

freiheit

When I first put eyes on this piece I thought that it was a costume brooch. It looked completely black and brown. I rubbed it with my finger and realized that it was silver underneath. Because the price was good, I decided to take it home and check out what it was.

Here is what I think:

I found many similar brooches dating to around the 1920 – 1940’s. The brooch was most likely made in Egypt. It has several marks. There seem to be some marks on the pin/needle. The interesting marks are in the front of the Brooch: There is one on the front next to the figure (King Tut?) on the bottom, as well as one on the little “ball” on the decoration around the brooch just below the figure. Unfurtunetly, I cannot make out the mark nor would I know what they mean.

I could clean the brooch and bring it back to its former glory. I am just not sure if I should do it. So far I just cleaned it with soap and water and gave it a very light polish on the front to show the details.

What would you do: To clean or not to clean???

Thanks for looking:)

logo
    Egyptian Revival Jewelry
    Wonderful Mid-cent Egyptian 18KT Gold Scarab w Turquoise Adj Band Ring P/8 4.2g
    Wonderful Mid-cent Egyptian 18KT Go...
    $233
    FINE ANTIQUE FRENCH ART DECO EGYPTIAN REVIVAL BRONZE LOCKET ENAMEL PHARAOH PHOTO
    FINE ANTIQUE FRENCH ART DECO EGYPTI...
    $49
    Antique Victorian Sterling Silver Genuine Egyptian Scarab Beetle Necklace & Box
    Antique Victorian Sterling Silver G...
    $51
    Elizabeth Taylor's Egyptian Cuff Bracelet~ 22K Gold Plated ~By Avon ~ MIB
    Elizabeth Taylor's Egyptian Cuf...
    $360
    logo
    Wonderful Mid-cent Egyptian 18KT Gold Scarab w Turquoise Adj Band Ring P/8 4.2g
    Wonderful Mid-cent Egyptian 18KT Go...
    $233

Comments

1. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 5 years ago
      Nice find! If it were mine, I would polish it just enough to remove the really bad bits of tarnish. The patina is very nice, and it would be a shame to clean it all off.
    2. freiheit freiheit, 5 years ago
      Thanks, Efesgirl. I think I will do that. It would be a shame to get rid of all of its character, wouldn't it?
    3. AmatoorPikr, 5 years ago
      What nice find!!! Looked on web, seems like its a girl, maybe Nefertiti.

4. racer4four racer4four, 5 years ago
      It's a fantastic brooch Freiheit!
    5. kyratango kyratango, 5 years ago
      Good shot, Freiheit!
      Think it is Nefertiti too.
      Check for egyptian hallmarks:
      Guide to World Hallmarks I - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks
    6. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 5 years ago
      Agree with the others - definitely Nefertiti. I've had other pieces of Egyptian jewelry and they all had their silver marks on the front. The only exception( so far) is my big 14K gold ankh, which has the marks on the bail.
    7. valentino97 valentino97, 5 years ago
      I think they found Nefertiti's - or identified a tomb to be her's just recently. How exciting is that! Nice - I love this, agree w/Bonnie, clean it a little.
    8. freiheit freiheit, 5 years ago
      OK, Nefertiti it is. I wasn't sure because she is usually shown from the side.
      Thanks so much for all of your comment and tips, Efesgirl, valentino97, kyratango, racer4four, and AmatoorPikr:)
    9. Celiene Celiene, 5 years ago
      That is a replica of the famous bust.

10. freiheit freiheit, 5 years ago
      Thanks a lot for your link, Celiene!
    11. Virginia.vintage Virginia.vintage, 5 years ago
      Stunning, loveeeeee!
    12. pebble pebble, 5 years ago
      The mark on the front looks like it could be the Egyptian mark for 600 silver:
    13. martika martika, 5 years ago
      Beautiful, love it!!!
    14. freiheit freiheit, 4 years ago
      Many thanks for your comments, Virginia.vintage and martika:)
    15. freiheit freiheit, 4 years ago
      Pebble, thanks so much for your link! I find it very helpful. After I posted my bracelet today, I remembered my brooch and went back to my old post and found your link. Actually, the only mark I can make out on my bracelet is a dot and what looks like a V.