German or French Art Deco Geometric Agate Pendant

In Fine Jewelry > Arts and Crafts Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Arts and Crafts Jewelry178 of 306Shipton & Co Moonstone Silver PendantAntique 9 ct Gold Jade? Art and Craft Brooch

racer4fourracer4four loves this.
melaniejmelaniej loves this.
EfesgirlEfesgirl loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
auraaura loves this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.
NevadaBladesNevadaBlades loves this.
AnneLandersAnneLanders loves this.
CelieneCeliene loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.

Peasejean55

I was on eBay this morning and came across this pendant. I believe it to be the work of Sybil Dunlop, of course I bought it, I now have my fingers crossed that it is her work! Lol. What leads me to believe this pendant is by her is the symmetrical pattern. The photos are by the seller, I would be be grateful for anybodies thoughts.
    I'll put a link below telling you a little about this wonderful woman's work
    Many thanks for looking and help.

logo
    Arts and Crafts Jewelry
    beautiful liberty & co cymric art nouveau silver & enamel pendant archibald knox
    beautiful liberty & co cymric art n...
    $16
    Arts & Crafts Style 925 Silver Gold Detail & Opal Handmade Dress Ring Size Q
    Arts & Crafts Style 925 Silver Gold...
    $19
    Art Nouveau Charles Horner Silver Amethyst Brooch Chester 1909
    Art Nouveau Charles Horner Silver A...
    $26
    Silver garnet & moonstone pendant, arts & crafts design 925
    Silver garnet & moonstone pendant, ...
    $8
    logo
    beautiful liberty & co cymric art n...
    $16

Comments

1. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
    2. Celiene Celiene, 5 years ago
      Beautiful stuff! It sure looks like her style. Found this, too:

THE SIBYL DUNLOP 'CARPET OF GEMS' STYLE
      SIbyl Dunlop jewellery and silverware, was mostly made, or supervised by Bill Nathanson. He sometimes referred to one of the design features of Sibyl Dunlop pieces as their 'carpet of colours' or 'carpet of gems' look. The key aspects of this look are:
      1. A repeating pattern of closely interlocking stones that are set in collets with a single wall to hold adjacent stones.
      2. The stones used in this way were cut in standardised sizes, colours, and shapes so that they could always be combined, and included more unusual shapes such as crescents, claws, chevrons, kite shapes, and triangles.
      This system of cutting stones dates from the late 1920s, and the 'carpet of gems' look arose soon after. By the mid-1930s wide bracelets and neckpieces had been made in this way, as well as brooches, with elaborate carpet of gems patterns. Designs based on patterns of interlocking stones were never more than a small part of the firm’s output.

3. Celiene Celiene, 5 years ago
      7500 GB POUNDS!?!?! Holy cow! I learn SO MUCH on this site as to what to look for when I go out pickin'!!

4. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
      Thank you Celiene, your links above have been very informative and much appreciated. Since I've been on CW for the pass 2 years, like you I have learnt a lot :-)
    5. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 5 years ago
      Hi Jean. It's probably German. I know it looks like SD's work and the reason why is because she bought many of her stones from Ider-Oberstein in Germany where they cut stones in what has become known as the 'carpet of gems' style.

It was an international stone-cutting centre and supplied stones around the world, but many pieces were also made in Germany and exported.
    6. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
      Hi Jewels1900, thanks for your information, I have been looking through a lot of SD work and seen nothing that resembles this pendant. I was very interested in the back, it looks well constructed. I shall look into the German connection. Would you know of any other maker who would used the carpet of gems style. Yet again thanks for your help.
    7. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 5 years ago
      Hi Jean. My knowledge of this style of jewel is very limited so I don't really know the manufacturers. I'm not even really sure it's German. Those lovely cut stones were imported from Germany all around the world. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.
    8. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
      Hi Jewels1900, I have looked for similar pieces to this but nothing, maybe I've made a mistake, but you live and learn, I will keep my eyes peeled. I'm back in the UK soon so will post more photos. You are always helpful and I'm always grateful for you time and advise and help.
    9. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
      Jewels1900, I wonder if you could take a look at the Moonstone pendant I've recently posted, it is in detail Instones work. I think I'm more positive that he did do work for Shipton & Co when he let his sons take over his business in 1963. This piece was made in 1967 so it could all line up. I have emailed his family on this subject but haven't had a reply.
    10. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
      Many thanks
      Efesgirl
      kyra
      Roycroftbookfromme
      Celiene
      AnneLanders
      NevadaBlades
      valentino
      vetraio
      aura
      mikelv
    11. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
      New photo's uploaded. The pendant is a heavy well constructed piece, I've look for marks there are nothing. I think stones in the middle is green agate, the triangles blue agate, cornelian? Onyx? And at the top there a whitest yellow stone which could be citrine, very strange to have one stone completely different to the others, could be a clue, or set at a later date.
    12. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
      I've been looking at the stone, some are rounded and some have flat tops peculiar.
    13. Celiene Celiene, 5 years ago
      What about the prongs? Those look very distinctive.
    14. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
      Efesgirl
      SEAN
      Katherinecollections
      melaniej
    15. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
      Many thanks Celiene, for your comment. I was hoping that someone might have a idea through the prongs, they are very distinctive.
    16. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
      Many thanks
      racer
    17. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 5 years ago
      Hi Jean. I uploaded the piece of Ider-Oberstein jewellery which I mistook for Dunlop. That's how I learn't about thevIder-Oberstein 'carpet of gems' style jewellery.
    18. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 5 years ago
      I think this is similar to this pendant, the prong look the same.