Art Nouveau horn jewellery & objects

In Fine Jewelry > Art Nouveau Jewelry > Show & Tell and Arts and Crafts > Show & Tell.
Art Nouveau Jewelry74 of 261Art Nouveau Silver Pendant Antique Market Find $8.00Jugendstil Silver bracelet by Georg A Scheid, Vienna c. 1890

EllasquiglzEllasquiglz loves this.
shareurpassionshareurpassion loves this.
KiwitaiaKiwitaia loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
glassiegirlglassiegirl loves this.
WindwalkerWindwalker loves this.
auraaura loves this.
GillianGillian loves this.
EfesgirlEfesgirl loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.

Jewels1900

Here's the second shelf of my bookcase (no books in this one! - only treasure). It's got my collection of Nouveau horn in it.

There's a few pendants including a mountain goat, a few hair combs, a variety of brooches & 2 bangles. Some is signed by the two best known horn makers GIP & Bonte.

The bird tile is in the style of Ballie Scott, I don't know if the design is by him or a copy. The milk & sugar are Tudric/Liberty designed by Knox.

logo
    Art Nouveau Jewelry
    Silver Austrian large carved amber rabbit art nouveau design pendant, 38.3 grams
    Silver Austrian large carved amber ...
    $45
    Art Nouveau 9ct solid Gold Pendant/Brooch Amethyst & Seed Pearls 1 x 1.25 inches
    Art Nouveau 9ct solid Gold Pendant/...
    $9
    9ct gold enamel natural pearl brooch, Victorian art nouveau
    9ct gold enamel natural pearl brooc...
    $36
    15ct gold old cut diamond natural pearl brooch, Victorian art nouveau
    15ct gold old cut diamond natural p...
    $90
    logo
    Silver Austrian large carved amber ...
    $45

Comments

1. kyratango kyratango, 5 years ago
      Which style is the baby in pic #1? Nouveau ? ;-D

Jewels1900, your collection is delightful on display!!!
    2. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
      Just AMAZING TREASURES !!!!!
    3. racer4four racer4four, 5 years ago
      I have to echo Vet! Amazing.
    4. kiwipaul kiwipaul, 5 years ago
      Wonderful collection of horn, what is the lustre vase on the far right?
    5. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 5 years ago
      Hi Paul, I can't recall who made the vase. It's marked HMH or HWH. I did know, I think it was one of those small British experimentalist ceramists. But I'm not 100% sure.
    6. kyratango kyratango, 4 years ago
      Hi Jewels1900!
      Any idea on this post, I lurked everywhere to id it :
      New Zealand Arts & Crafts brooch | Collectors Weekly
    7. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 4 years ago
      Hi Kyra, I saw this when it was first posted & I'm not really sure.

It's hard to tell what the date is, the pin may be a replacement, it's hard to tell.

Could be German, could be Scandinavian, could be New Zelandish. It will be interesting to see if any info turns up.
    8. orivit, 3 years ago
      Hi Jewels1900- I have a buckle which is similar to the hairstick in your Knox creamer. Mine is unmarked. Is your piece marked by any chance? I am wondering about the designer... Thank you!
    9. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 3 years ago
      Hi Orvit, It's unmarked. I'm pretty sure it's French and of the style of Dumont or Arnould. The top piece is cast or stamped separately from the the comb teeth so it's likely that you could buy the same design configured into several different objects.

You need to be careful with this honesty design though, I've seen it reproduced.
    10. orivit, 3 years ago
      Interesting- actually I have two buckles with different designs using the same or similar elements. One buckle I believe is original (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1214158722022997/permalink/1350409078397960/)
      and the second I believe is a reproduction. Neither is signed. By Arnould you mean Maison Arnould? I was under the impression that Maison Arnould pieces were marked and in a variety of styles because different designers were employed- still that would be great. I am not familiar with Dumont.
      The design of the monnaie-du-pape floral/vegetal elements reminds me of this bannister by Majorelle:
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/1214158722022997/permalink/1350401308398737/ but maybe it is just the similarity in the motif?
      Thank you!
    11. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 3 years ago
      Hi Orvit, I'd say your buckle & my comb are made by the same maker.

I do mean Maison Arnould. I don't know a huge amount about that firm but I can see you've found one of their catalogues so they made jewellery & silver goods like these. I'm not sure if they have in-house designers or bought their designs from a design house or dealers. I do know they made components and then assembled them into a variety of different jewels & treasures. I also know they didn't sign all their goods.

For example you may have seen Kyras seaweed necklace post - https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/120582-unknown-style-and-maker-necklace-arts-an

I have a pendant that is different but made with the same seaweed, I have a friend with one thats different again but made with the same seaweed. Her's is marked for Arnould. I seen one more that I also think was marked Arnould. It's possible that Arnould sold parts or whole jewels to other companies which was common practice with some makers.

I saw that bannister a couple of months ago when I was in Paris. I love honesty and have a few english & french objects & jewels with the honesty motif.

Search 'nouveau dumont' and you should find some examples of Dumont jewels. He mainly used ginkgo leaves but also used some other designs. Also, did you see the Durant ring in my last post?
    12. orivit, 3 years ago
      Thank you Jewels1900! That is very helpful. I also have seen the same design used as a mount for a small vase. I would love to know who designed it, but will enjoy regardless... Thank you
    13. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 3 years ago
      Yes, a beautiful collection! I would die for that dragonfly necklace!!!