Japanese or Chinese stoneware? What is it?

In Asian > Chinese Pottery > Show & Tell.
Chinese Pottery508 of 548Chinese or Japanese pottery? What is it ?Chinese porcelain calligraphy vase

lentilka11lentilka11 loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.
HauteLookresaleHauteLookresale loves this.
willowcatwillowcat loves this.
SongjarSongjar loves this.
mareredwaremareredware loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
AmiarAmiar loves this.
auraaura loves this.

Porcelainl…

I bought this beautiful vase in estate sale in Del Mar California. It's very heavy and I don't know if it's Japanese, Chinese or somewhere else. They were using it as a planter. Wondering about age too. The only thing that I know is that I love it. I will appreciate any help thanks.

Mystery Solved
    logo
    Chinese Pottery
    Antique Chinese Blue & White Porcelain Ming Dynasty XuanDe Mark Jar Vase, NR
    Antique Chinese Blue & White Porcel...
    $760
    Antique 18thC YongZheng Period Chinese Double Dragon Porcelain Plate, NR
    Antique 18thC YongZheng Period Chin...
    $305
    Blue and white chinese antique porcelain vase with landscape painting
    Blue and white chinese antique porc...
    $309
    Finely Carved Antique Chinese Wood Vase Stand with Ruyi
    Finely Carved Antique Chinese Wood ...
    $18
    logo
    Antique Chinese Blue & White Porcelain Ming Dynasty XuanDe Mark Jar Vase, NR
    Antique Chinese Blue & White Porcel...
    $760

Comments

1. SEAN68 SEAN68, 6 years ago
      great shape and handles!! love the design!!
    2. SEAN68 SEAN68, 6 years ago
      Your very welcome Porcelainlover!! and welcome to cw!!
    3. Porcelainlover Porcelainlover, 6 years ago
      Thank you, love this site.
    4. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 6 years ago
      me too!! does the piece just sit on that base, or is the base hollowed out on the inside? i think it just sits on it. kind of unusually thick/heavy base, no?
    5. Porcelainlover Porcelainlover, 6 years ago
      It just sits an the base. And yes is kind of unusual.
    6. Porcelainlover Porcelainlover, 6 years ago
      Somebody told me they were planters from Mexico?.
    7. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 6 years ago
      it doesn't look mexican to me. the clay is not the right color and it looks high-fired, which is very unusual in mexico. the form isn't right either.
    8. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 6 years ago
    9. Porcelainlover Porcelainlover, 6 years ago
      I got a comment saying it's Japanese earthenware probably 18th century or older that I appreciated a lot. But not completely sure about this one.
    10. Songjar, 6 years ago
      I collect Chinese jars of the Song and Yuan Dynasties. The form, glaze (with ash imperfections), small scroll handles, rim, unglazed base, and dark earthenware all resemble pieces from my collection. How large is this jar? Song jars tend to be very small. Yuan jars often larger. This one is definitely Asian, probably Chinese, and not Mexican. Recommend having it appraised by an Asian ceramics expert.
    11. Porcelainlover Porcelainlover, 6 years ago
      Thank you very much for your help. Is much appreciated. The vase is 9"H X 10" W. I had found another similar vase in Google that was 11th. Century. I was a little skeptical for the old age, but now that you mentioned I am getting happier. Thanks again.
    12. shrine shrine, 6 years ago
      It's definitely Chinese, no later than Yuan dynasty. The bottom looks like an piece from Liao/Jin era(same time as Southern Song Dynasty).
    13. Songjar, 6 years ago
      Glad to read Shrine's assessment. Is the condition as good as it looks in the photo? Any cracks or chips? Based on it's large size, age, and apparent excellent condition it certainly will have some value. Recommend that appraisal.
    14. Porcelainlover Porcelainlover, 6 years ago
      Thank you very much for all your help. Is very much appreciated. It has some hairlines at the inside bottom but don't go through the outside foot. And thank you for your recommendations I will have it appraised soon.
    15. Songjar, 6 years ago
      My pleasure to comment. A planter indeed! (Although I'm sure it looked very pretty with plants inside.) Glad you found it. All best wishes.
    16. Porcelainlover Porcelainlover, 6 years ago
      Thank you very much to sonjar and shrine for helping me solve the making of this beautiful vase. Thank you very much again. Your help is much appreciated.
    17. shrine shrine, 6 years ago
      To be honest, I don't recommend appraisal as it would cost you. This one is not much valued in Chinese market. I've bought a similar one (but with four rings/ears/handles) for US$200 odd in China around 2010. Songjar could be right as I am not much into Earthenware.

Good luck :)
    18. Songjar, 6 years ago
      Shrine has a very good point. Song and Yuan rustic, high-fired earthenware jars are not as collected/valued as finer vases or porcelains. They don't often show up in museum collections. And it can be difficult to find information in books, catalogs, printed materials about these type pieces. Probably created for humble storage purposes and never intended for display on a pedestal. Even so, there is beauty in the inherent craftsmanship and certainly private US collectors are buying. Porcelainlover, what intrigues me about your jar is that it has the simple, high-shouldered, rounded and unadorned shape with single-color glaze, but is much larger in size than others like it I've seen. But I'm just one small collector and I haven't seen everything. Perhaps, instead of appraisal at this time, you should watch Asian antique auctions for Song, Liao, Jin and Yuan era jars and get an idea for the market, to see if you think your piece warrants the price of appraisal.
    19. Porcelainlover Porcelainlover, 6 years ago
      Thank you very much for your comments, I will follow your advice. Thanks again.