Posted 5 years ago
Well here they are ! All spruced up and ready to hang. Clean glass, touched up frames and most importantly new mattes. I picked a rich red color in a standard 16"x 20" acid free matte which had to be cut down. The opening is a bit smaller 11"x 14" than the original but it's only hiding about an inch or so of blank space. When I took them apart I found the old water stained mattes are glued to crumbling pieces of heavy card stock along with the print. Not the best thing to do but back in the day this was common. I'm sure it hurts the value being cut down from the original sheet too. There's a couple spots of foxing and a wrinkle in the mare and foal one from a hit to the back of the brittle card stock. The best I could do was place the new mattes over the whole thing and hope they don't deteriorate any further. They just need new dust papers on the back to seal them from the elements. They've had a rough life up to this point but they're safe now and they look great !