Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Need help identifying it

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
TubeAmp's likes1 of 26Confederate States of America Half DollarLid of sorts anchor hocking
Love it
Like it

blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
ttomtuckerttomtucker likes this.
TubeAmpTubeAmp likes this.
KarenokeKarenoke loves this.
See 2 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 4 years ago

    (2 items)

    Seems like some sort of brass mould or clamp as it tightens up.
    Any help would be great
    Stamped made in England with a shield saying J W B

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/Glass Knob In Antique Turquoise/Teal Accent
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/G...
    (6) VTG Antique Furniture Drop Handle Drawer Pulls Bails Back Plates Rope Edge
    (6) VTG Antique Furniture Drop Hand...
    Vintage Kelly Registered Axe Head # 17253 True Temper Embossed
    Vintage Kelly Registered Axe Head #...
    Stanley plane No.212 Cabinet makers Scraper plane unused with Original box.
    Stanley plane No.212 Cabinet makers...
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/Glass Knob In Antique Turquoise/Teal Accent
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/G...
    See all


    1. Karenoke Karenoke, 4 years ago
      I'm looking forward to learning what it is myself, interesting!
    2. TubeAmp TubeAmp, 4 years ago
      Would you be so kind as to repost without the pipe smoker's multi tool and show the end it's standing on too? Thank you.

      T A
    3. Jo1326, 4 years ago
      Ok the bottom screws in and moves a small block upwards
    4. fmeiag, 4 years ago
    5. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 4 years ago
      Left by aliens to confuse us.
    6. PoliticalPinbacks PoliticalPinbacks, 4 years ago
      Adjustable height or length the screw clamp must tighten on a pole/dowel and made of Brass, perhaps a tool to hold a patch in place on a old wood ship? or used in ship building in old(er) days? A image of it in use would help lol
    7. UncleRon UncleRon, 4 years ago
      I notice that in the second photo the adjusting screw is turned all the way in and the sliding plug is at the extreme top end of its travel in its guide-slot. In the first pic the screw is turned back about an inch yet the plug is still at its extreme travel. Can we assume therefore that the plug is NOT fastened to the screw?

      I also notice that there are many details of the object that are not as finely finished as one would expect in a factory-made item (the roughly ground openings on the side, for example). It may be a one-of-a-kind piece made for some obscure purpose.
    8. TubeAmp TubeAmp, 4 years ago
      I was thinking along the lines of a foot for a wooden tripod or instrument holder that requires leveling adjustments (surveyor's cross, telescope, camera, etc).

      If someone would like an explanation as to how that would work, just politely ask...

      T A

    9. Jo1326, 4 years ago
      Yes The sliding plug is seperate from the adjusting screw.
    10. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 4 years ago
      How about for putting a tip on a cue stick?
    11. TubeAmp TubeAmp, 4 years ago
      The company that made this had published catalogs:

      joseph walker: general brass foundry for ironmongers, architects, builders, decorators, joiners, cabinet makers, plumbers, shopfitters, shipbuilders, furnishing trade, etc. catalogue

      You may be able to have a library borrow a copy.

      T A

    12. UncleRon UncleRon, 4 years ago
      I have a tool for doing that billretirecoll, but it's much smaller. This item appears to be about 10"-12" long. The function looks similar though. For some reason I get the impression that it is installed temporarily onto something, perhaps in order to make an adjustment or a calibration, rather than being a permanent part of a device.
    13. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 4 years ago
      What is the length of this Jo?
    14. Jo1326, 4 years ago
      Its 9cm tall and 2cm in diameter
    15. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 4 years ago
      Ok so about the same size as a pool/billiard cue tip gluing clamp 3 1/2", no closer to what it is, but still a possibility! :^)
    16. UncleRon UncleRon, 4 years ago
      I stand corrected. MUCH smaller than it looks to me.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.