L'Aurore Statue By Mathurin Moreau, Bronze Signed in Mould, Math Moreau

In Art Deco > Art Deco Bronze > Show & Tell and Figurines > Show & Tell.
Art Deco Bronze7 of 191Bronze Statue, Boeing P-26 Peashooter Aircraft, Seattle Souvenir?J. B. Hirsch Mandolin player Valet Apres Ferdinand Preiss, 1920s

CaperkidCaperkid loves this.
nutsabotas6nutsabotas6 loves this.
JImamJImam loves this.
melaniejmelaniej loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.

Posted 6 months ago

PhilDMorris

I got this Mid 19th Century Bronze statue, L'Aurore statue by Mathurin Moreau, in about 1990 with a lot of luck and cash from a Canadian Auction.
Usually this bronze is found in a height of 25 inches, It is rare in this height of 80.5 cm or 31.7 inches, and his patinas on his bronzes are impeccable. A lot of his work is marked Hors Concours, which means he was able to show his work without going through competition, he was that good !!

Mathurin Moreau (18 of November,1822-14 of February, 1902) was trained by his father, came from a family of 3 brothers, all sculptors and he was the most famous, his brother August Moreau was also a sculptor and the most prolific. Most of his work that I have seen in person of August Moreau was done in Spelter. Most of Mathurin's work was done in Bronze. I have more info on his work as the wiki site has very limited info.

Mathurin Moreau's bronzes are all quite grand and the bidding on this one was fierce, as his work is quite coveted. It weighs in at least at 100 lbs. as the marble base is solid marble. I put it in Figurines and is not really art deco but should have a category of Statuary which there is none, as the categories on this site are quite limited.

Comments

1. bijoucaillouvintage bijoucaillouvintage, 6 months ago
    Dawn... what a beautiful name for this statue. I love bronze, brass.. Like your diver, she's got something special. Are they in the same room?
  2. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 6 months ago
    Stunning detail on bronze! Just beautiful. Did not realize the size till I saw last pic :) Your home is exquisite.
  3. Radegunder Radegunder, 6 months ago
    What a beauty!!!
  4. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 6 months ago
    Hello bijou, yes the same room. I have a second living room which was allotted to me and had the same dimensions as my living room now. Unfortunately I also have the last contents of my fathers in there and contrary to my sisters wishes I do not want to throw out stuff that my mom bought for sentimental reasons. Statues and furniture that is important to me in this room would be in the same room if I saw a living room big enough for all my furniture.
  5. MALKEY MALKEY, 6 months ago
    lovely piece has great presence thanks for sharing PhilD !!!!!!!!
  6. bijoucaillouvintage bijoucaillouvintage, 6 months ago
    I understand how you feel about not throwing out stuff your mum bought, things have emotional value, all of them. I'm sure they get along!
  7. Manikin Manikin, 6 months ago
    Another fabulous piece ! and of coarse the photo of the your room makes me swoon with envy :-) I am with you on not throwing out sentimental items . I am guilty of that and some have no value except to me . xoxo
  8. roddyq roddyq, 6 months ago
    What a superb Statue. The legs on the table remind me of the smaller statues you posted before!!
  9. mcheconi mcheconi, 6 months ago
    superb...and the room, oh gee...I would have to dress up to visit you Phil LOL.
  10. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 6 months ago
    What a beautiful lady. She looks fabulous in your room, I couldn't imagine a better setting for her.
  11. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 6 months ago
    Thank you Mrstyndall for the nice compliment !~
  12. kyratango kyratango, 6 months ago
    Ooooohhhh! How did I missed this sculptural piece for 14 days...
    Splendid!!!
    Sentimental pieces from your mother are priceless, I'm totally with you for not parting with them :-)
  13. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 6 months ago
    Thank you Radegunder for your friendship and your comment !
  14. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 6 months ago
    Thank you MALKEY for the nice comment !
  15. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 5 months ago
    Thank you bijou for the nice comment.
  16. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 5 months ago
    Thanks Manikin for all your support and love !~
  17. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 months ago
    Thanks Roddy for your very nice compliment, send out love your way !
  18. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 months ago
    Thank you so much mcheconi, dress is anything you like, if it was just rags the furniture might look better !