Antique Essex crystal/reverse painted intaglio gold brooch of a Jack Russell terrier.

In Fine Jewelry > Victorian and Edwardian Jewelry > Show & Tell and Animals > Dogs > Show & Tell.
Victorian and Edwardian Jewelry26 of 722Victorian micro mosaic brooch 9ct Gold with Ruby and Seed Pearl Victorian Brooch

TigraTigra loves this.
KarenLR71KarenLR71 loves this.
auraaura loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

kyratango

Doggie!!!

Just bought him :-)

From France, not accurate title of the auction...

This charming doggie is 1.6cm diameter.

Rose gold mount, French hallmark on C clasp, unreadable maker's mark.

Thanks all for viewing, loving, commenting :-D

Comments

1. KarenLR71, 1 year ago
      lol..the song "How much is that doggie in the window"....just started in my head and I can't get it to stop..lol.

Too cute! Old brooch, too!

What a great example too of what I read the other day to learn more about pins, clasps, etc. in order to date things..is the mention about in older brooches ones you can often find the actual pin is longer than the brooch itself. (I know you CW'ers already know this info..lol)

For clumsy people like myself, I'd have to have someone else pin it for me. Such a cutie!
    2. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 1 year ago
      Adorable, Pascale!
    3. SpiritBear SpiritBear, 1 year ago
      I love it. <3
    4. vintagelamp vintagelamp, 1 year ago
      Of course you know that I absolutely love this!!! Hugs to your dogs!
    5. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 1 year ago
      So gorgeous Pascale :-) love it!
    6. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 year ago
      Precious piece with a high value of interest !
    7. Agram.m Agram.m, 1 year ago
      So cute, adorable, high price, love it!
    8. jscott0363 jscott0363, 1 year ago
      Nice one!!! I love it!
    9. racer4four racer4four, 1 year ago
      Wonderful find, he's a cutie, beautifully painted.
    10. kyratango kyratango, 1 year ago
      Ha KarenLR71! Now I have the song "combien pour ce chien dans la vitrine" in my head for the day :-))
      Right for dating by the clasp, and those reverse painted crystals went from early victorian to 1910's era. I agree too, brooches have sharp needle which can hurt, ouch!
      Thanks for loving the doggie :-D

Hey Bonnie, as adorable as you are! Thank you :-D

SpiritBear, I know you're an animal lover, very happy you love him, thanks a lot for your visit and comment !

Vintagelamp, when I saw him (1 hour before the end of the auction!) I thought of your dogs portraits... I knew you'd appreciate him! Thank you from me and the devil twin pups :-D

Judy, same... We are both doggies friends ;-) thank you!!!

Phil, thanks my friend! Those little things involve so much work in carving and miniature painting on the reverse...

Marga, yes, how not to be in love with this little face :-) Thank you for your appreciation and kind comment.

Scott... I knew you'd be attracted here... ;-) thanks a lot!

Karen, yep, carved then painted! Thank you for your so kind comment and love!

Gary... If ever you act as sponge... Tell your wife to throw you in your river ;-)))
      I agree elders are exhausting wandering at night and get up really early in the morning, yelling some whispers one to the other, lol!

This little guy is nearly 130 years old (around 1890).

Big dog licks and love back to all of you, 19 lovers :-))

11. kyratango kyratango, 1 year ago
      All interested in those reverse crystals may visit Bluboi's post with so much beauties:
    12. nutsabotas6 nutsabotas6, 1 year ago
      He's so cute and the design of the brooch is just fabulous !!
      You sure can pick them ! :)
    13. kyratango kyratango, 1 year ago
      Hi Ken! Thanks for your enthousiastic comment and love :-))
    14. Agram.m Agram.m, 1 year ago
      Pascale thank you so much for your enthusiastic comments. Where does your love for insects come from? I know you're an animal lover as I'm but it's about the jewelry of these insects or the animals themselves or both ?
    15. kyratango kyratango, 1 year ago
      Haha, Marga, I love insects only in jewellery! It may be a kind of therapy : I'm phobic of living ones, even a butterfly on me makes me scream and run... I know... Silly :-D
    16. kyratango kyratango, 1 year ago
      UPDATE:
      Doggy arrived, 18 carats rose gold French hallmark!

Crystal is in perfect condition, you can see the depth of the carving in pic#2.

Really a good one at good price :-D
    17. nutsabotas6 nutsabotas6, 1 year ago
      Still loving and your photos are excellent !!
    18. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 1 year ago
      Loving even more too Pascale, it is really beautiful:-)
    19. Gillian, 1 year ago
      Irresistible! Hard to believe it's only 1.6 cm. Agree with Ken about the photos, very nicely done. It's difficult to wrap my head around how these artists can possibly do such amazing work.

A sheer delight!

20. kyratango kyratango, 1 year ago
      Ken, thank you for visiting again, and for your appreciation of the photos!
      I must say it was very difficult to capture the details of him without the omnipresent glares :-)
      Judy, thank you, I'm so pleased with him! I was afraid it may have traces of damp underneath, but no, he is a sweet perfect little guy!

Gillian, yes, it is incredible to see such a work in such a tiny cabochon.
      Link to the description of the making of these:
      Thank you so much for your enthousiasm!
    21. antiquerose antiquerose, 1 year ago
      ~ Wowser ~
      what a Bow-WOW
    22. kyratango kyratango, 1 year ago
      Oooh... Rose... How did I miss your funny/punny comment... THANK YOU!

Many thanks for loving the little guy, Wandlessfairy!
    23. kyratango kyratango, 8 months ago