Victorian pink, blue, & white striped glass epergne trumpet

In Art Glass > British Art Glass > Show & Tell.
British Art Glass7 of 680Victorian ruby glass rustic palm tree vaseVictorian glass bowl with pulled trailed decoration

ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
sklo42sklo42 loves this.
AdeleCAdeleC loves this.
MrstyndallMrstyndall loves this.
rockbatrockbat loves this.

Posted 3 months ago

IronLace

I admit, I am somewhat susceptible to the dubious charms of orphan epergne parts...so how could I pass up on this beauty? I had a spare stand, so that made it easier to display, at least. The colour scheme also has a personal significance.
This Victorian epergne trumpet would have originally been attached to the side - note the arm (sadly damaged). Perhaps it even was part of a mirror with a fitting to accomodate a single trumpet flower holder. Or maybe it was from a fairy lamp epergne, as the fancy striped pattern brings to mind the "Cleveland stripe" design seen on fairy lamps.
It is made from clear glass, with alternating stripes in pink, blue, & white. Measurements are 17 cm tall (without the stand), 10.5 cm across the crimped top rim, & 1.5 cm across the rounded tip. There is a clear applied rigaree.
Fairly certain it is of English origin.

Comments

1. rockbat, 3 months ago
    It looks like a delicious piece of candy, mmmmm. Nice find.
  2. IronLace IronLace, 3 months ago
    Many thanks, rockbat!
  3. sklo42 sklo42, 3 months ago
    The glass is glorious and the epergne and stand look well together as the stand echoes the curves of the epergne.
  4. IronLace IronLace, 3 months ago
    Thanks so much, sklo42! Yes, it does sit nicely in that stand. I look out for stands so I'm prepared for when an orphan epergne part catches my eye.
    I imagine how this piece would have looked when in it's original context - pure Victorian fancifulness in full bloom...
  5. Alan2310 Alan2310, 3 months ago
    Yes indeed IronLace, in Victorian context, nice sideboard, even nice small table, this will be glorious, congrats, beautiful piece.
    Yesterday, I found a nice table mirror from the Victorian era, this will look awesome beside.
  6. IronLace IronLace, 3 months ago
    Thanks so much, Alan2310 - & amazingly enough, just yesterday I acquired a beautiful Victorian chiffonier/sideboard. It is an Australian Colonial era piece, made from native red cedar. I will get a photo of it posted next week - with some glass on it of course!
  7. sklo42 sklo42, 3 months ago
    Hmm, IronLace, it seems stands are to you what frogs are to me lol
  8. IronLace IronLace, 3 months ago
    Yes indeed!
    But for some reason, it seems to be easier to find epergne stands than metal frogs here. Otherwise I'd be a frog queen too! :-)