Art Deco, Kralik Bambus Bowl with Lid

In Art Glass > Bohemian Art Glass > Show & Tell and Art Deco > Show & Tell.
Bohemian Art Glass150 of 5120Czechoslovakian satin finish spatterKralik tango bowl

NewfldNewfld loves this.
Wow22Wow22 loves this.
jimtimjimtim loves this.
artfootartfoot loves this.
VioletOrangeVioletOrange loves this.

Posted 3 months ago

Alan2310

This is my last find on line, Art Deco Kralik marquetry bowl with lid, this my first piece in this decor, very rare I guess in this shape.
Not my last one for sure.

This bowl with lid stand 7.50 inch tall by 5.50 inch wide

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 months ago
    T'is FABULOUS !!!!
    But is it BAMBUS ???
  2. Alan2310 Alan2310, 3 months ago
    Kevin, I think we can use Bambus also, as marquetry too, Jericho will light up this for sure.
  3. Wow22, 3 months ago
    My interpretation also is Bambus, not Marquetry. It's awesome. Lucky you.
  4. jericho jericho, 3 months ago
    Fantastic piece, I bid on it and lost to you Alan. love it. I like the shape and the perfume like Broad-ground crystal finial!! The reason I think its so balls-out great is that the maker would have to blow the piece, satin treat it and cut the finial to look like that...

Very interesting about the debate between Bambus -Vs- Marquetry.

I have heard many dealers and (a few collectors) refer to the pulled rod inlay (with added spatter as Marquetry). Does that make them wrong? I don't think so. As I see it you have a partial attribution for Bambus and no attribution for Marquetry (Bambus with flowers).... as for prices sometimes there is no distinction-

Although many marquetry are signed -none are named in a catalogue or with a sticker... so Marquetry was made up by dealers and collectors who were describing the three flowered pieces for sale. The bits of cased glass that form the petals of the flower were applied (hot) by hand - very similar to the "flame pattern".

...so far there have been sightings of 6 Bambus sticker'd examples and only in Maroon (5) purple (1). Does this mean that yellow or green flame pattern pieces are not Bambus? it could mean that. Could there be some glass companies that mimicked the Bambus pattern. Yes- I believe I have a few

So... I do think there is room to call some bambus glass (until we see a bambus sticker on this color) Marquetry. remember the name comes from dealers and collectors and maybe the tide is shifting....
  5. Alan2310 Alan2310, 3 months ago
    Jerico, first i am very sorry to bid again you, my apologize for this, we never know,
    ;-(
    So do I call this one Bambus ?
    Many thanks for the complete statement on this piece much appreciated.
  6. Wow22, 3 months ago
    Fascinating insights from Jericho. It's more complex than I thought! So - possibly Bambus, possibly not (until this color is verified). Possibly marquetry through technique... Making my head spin.
  7. IanBrighton IanBrighton, 3 months ago
    Great piece!
  8. Ivonne Ivonne, 3 months ago
    This is awesome!
  9. Alan2310 Alan2310, 3 months ago
    @Wow22, we figure it will be easy, but it's not, my head spin too
    @IanBrighton, I think so too
    @Ivonne, yes indeed, I love it very much.
    Many thanks to all of you for commenting and appreciation.
  10. philmac51 philmac51, 3 months ago
    Great piece Alan - I've just come back from a 2 week vacation - lots of lovely pieces to comment on.... this is especially nice!
  11. Alan2310 Alan2310, 3 months ago
    @philmac51, I hope you have nice vacation, welcome back.
    Many thanks for stopping by and commented, i am glad you enjoy it.
  12. Alan2310 Alan2310, 3 months ago
    Wow22
    jimtim
    artfoot
    Manikin
    VioletOrange
    vetraio50
    SpiritBear, to all of you....... for the appreciation of this post.
  13. Alan2310 Alan2310, 3 months ago
    Vintagefran
    jscott0363
    swfinluv1
    LOUMANAL , to all of you for the appreciation of this post.
  14. kivatinitz kivatinitz, 3 months ago
    very very pretty shape and decor
  15. Alan2310 Alan2310, 3 months ago
    THANK YOU, kivatinitz, for you very nice comment, much appreciated.
  16. Alan2310 Alan2310, 3 months ago
    SpiritBear
    aura, to all of you, for the appreciation of this post.