What is this

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware199 of 6446Dragon? with cotter pinNeed help identifying this tool

Irishcollector.Irishcollector. loves this.
Horseradishman1Horseradishman1 loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

Posted 2 months ago

Lmharris
(1 item)

This tool measures 6 inches long, has an S curved Bakelite handle and the "blade" is silver. I think that it is actual silver because it tarnishes if not kept polished. It has no markings of any sort. It is blunt.
Does anyone know what it is called?

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 months ago
    Fish scaler ? Silver ? For the man who has everything !
  2. Lmharris, 2 months ago
    I've looked into it being a fish scaler, a leather Tanner.... so far, it doesn't seem to be it. Just not sure. Any other ideas?
  3. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 months ago
    Comb for a bald man ? I'm at a loss.
  4. Lmharris, 2 months ago
    Blunderbuss2! LOL! Don't think that's it either!
  5. UncleRon UncleRon, 2 months ago
    I don't know but I'll make a guess: Some kind of fruit or nut peeler/opener. The saw teeth would cut through a rind and the blade is - a blade!
  6. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 months ago
    I'll go with UncleRon. Probably work well with soursop ! Maybe even grapefruit.
  7. Horseradishman1, 2 months ago
    Curious tool that I keep looking at....I am seeing cheese knives with curved blades and saw teeth on one side that remind me of it. Just a thought...
  8. flashlarue, 2 months ago
    Maybe an oyster knife?
  9. Lmharris, 1 month ago
    I have also wondered if it could be a cheese knife. The blade itself is extremely blunt and has never been sharpened so I am just not sure. But thank you horseradishman1 for your input! I appreciate it and I appreciate everyone else's also. I hope someone can tell me when hundred percent for sure what the heck it is though.
  10. Lmharris, 1 month ago
    I am not sure if it could be an oyster knife because it is not sharp in anyway. But then again I know nothing of oyster knives. Lol
  11. Lmharris, 1 month ago
    If I could figure out what it was and it had a decent value I would consider selling it for the right price. But have no idea what it really is!
  12. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 month ago
    I'm 100% sure it's not an oyster knife.
  13. Bigdaftjohn, 4 days ago
    Tongue scraper? Unlikely I know... If it tarnishes like silver it may be German silver, which actually has no silver content, but it's much cheaper and stronger that real silver. I take it that the rivets are fixed, and the blade can't rotate at all?