Vintage art find

In Fine Art > Drawings > Show & Tell.
Drawings10 of 311Jay Gould pen and ink drawingWatercolor signed by F.Marion Dyer  Copyrighted John W. Whisler

EZaEZa loves this.
freiheitfreiheit loves this.
CaperkidCaperkid loves this.
HunterHunter loves this.
clockermanclockerman loves this.
roddyqroddyq loves this.
KarenokeKarenoke loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.

Posted 2 months ago

dlpetersen

I just found this sketch at an estate sale and really like it but I do not know anything about who the artist is or what time period it is. It don't really matter asi am happy with it but any info would be nice.

Comments

1. SEAN68 SEAN68, 2 months ago
    This is fabulous!!!
  2. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 months ago
    This is called a carricature. I have a good friend who does these also and used to do it for Toronto's richest man when he had celebrities in restaurants and theatres.
  3. dlpetersen, 2 months ago
    Thank You all info helps, could it be around WW2?
  4. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 month ago
    It definitely looks ww2 I would think. I also wonder if the fellow depicted was a well known celebrity at the time or not.
  5. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 month ago
    He is definitely getting ready for bugle call or got a notice of a call to duty. Usually a carricature artist asks the sitter what he or she wants to be doing, especially if they are just a regular person who gets into the artists chair. You can look up the p o valley war records in google as that is what the writing refers to especially an area in Italy. He does not really represent one of the war generals there, but someone with knowledge of war time settings can possibly give you more info. I could only print out what google shows. In 1945 the US 5th Army advance towards the P O Valley.
  6. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 month ago
    If you go to my full page you can email me - it shows my email - and I can email you back a somewhat colour corrected version of your photo.
    Just click over my name and it should get you there.
  7. Karenoke Karenoke, 1 month ago
    Phil is a nice man!
    But I have to say, something about those sock suspenders just do it for me...lol
    This is a great find, very cool!
  8. dlpetersen, 1 month ago
    Thank You PhilDMorris And Karenoke for your comments, it may be a day or so but I will email you. Thanks again
  9. dlpetersen, 1 month ago
    Sorry PhilDMorris I tried your full page but could not find your email, I will have my son help as I'm not as good as him on computers.
  10. Caperkid Caperkid, 21 days ago
    When I see these I think of political humor. Perhaps a governor or senator, just a guess.