does anybody know what this 'spool thing" is???

In Sewing > Sewing Tools > Show & Tell.
Sewing Tools2 of 139Pls help identify! Sewing?Weaving?Spinning?Other?Very old Singer machine foot

auraaura loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

Posted 2 months ago

AnythingOb…

This came from the 'after the farm sale' haul -- I have no earthly idea how it ended up there, or from where it got there. Does anyone recognize it??

To me, it looks like it might be some kind of spool to hold thread/string as part of some kind of industrial loom or sewing machine or something.

Or maybe it was a lamp. Or a spool turned into a lamp. Or . . . ???

However, in any case I can't quite come up with an explanation for all its various assortment of holes/borings, none of which would appear to be there randomly. It is made of turned Maple (I think) and stands about 9" tall, its base is about 4" wide. (assuming the wide part is the 'bottom'?)

I used metal rods in the pics to show how it has three 1/4" (or so) holes bored: 1) all the way thru its length 2) at a steep angle into its skinny stem joining with the thru-hole and 3) at a lesser angle into the wide part of its base. Additionally, the top of its stem is counterbored about 1", about 2" deep. The underside of the wide end appears to have been milled out forming a rectangular cavity about 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" that is rounded inside. Its base also appears to have once had green felt glued to it, probably covering that cavity.

WHAT SAY YE, learned friends of Collector's Weekly?? :-)

Comments

1. lzenglish lzenglish, 2 months ago
    I "THINK" what you may have here, is an old Textile Mill Spool/Bobbin, that has been refinished, and repurposed. Allot of these were used as candle stick holders, and also made into lamps, clubs, etc.

2. lzenglish lzenglish, 2 months ago
    Well, what say ye A.O.???????????? Yes, no, maybe ??????????
  3. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 2 months ago
    I can't disagree with 'ya lze -- that's kinda what I figured it was from the git-go -- but still don't know for sure as, despite the hundreds of pics on Google, I haven't yet managed to spot one that really looks like this one. Even that sorta confirms...apparently there were FAR more different 'styles' of such things than I ever would have realized.

So NO, I definitely have to say YES, it is still a "maybe". <lol>
  4. lzenglish lzenglish, 2 months ago
    Well, at least i finally got a response for my effort. Thanks, and take care!
  5. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 2 months ago
    And with my enthusiastic THANKS as well!! :-) :-) :-)