Brass and marble table

In Furniture > Tables > Show & Tell.
Tables57 of 1184Round Table with Metal Bowl InsertVintage Round Wood Table Made In Italy Stamped Georgian Style 1960s

kyratangokyratango loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.
auraaura loves this.
nutsabotas6nutsabotas6 loves this.
TassieDevilTassieDevil loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

Posted 7 months ago

Lamplover78

Hey everyone! My friend owns a small antique shop up the road from me. I went to visit them yesterday and bought a few items. I just love this small table. I think its brass with a marble top. Not sure if it's a lamp table? Im using it as a plant stand. Anyone see any like this one? Or know anything about it? Thanks for looking!

Comments

1. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 7 months ago
    Sorry to be a downer, but I don't think it is very old at all -- likely imported (India?) 'en masse' for a retailer like Pier 1, within recent decades.

I have an identical brass base (missing its marble top) and a friend of mine has a complete one just like yours -- I've seen them show up every so often at the thrift store, too.

STILL -- it looks nice holding up that little plant?!! :-) :-) :-)
  2. scottvez scottvez, 7 months ago
    Agree-- I don't see a lot of age to it.

A photo of the underside/ attachment might show some details.

scott
  3. Lamplover78 Lamplover78, 7 months ago
    Thanks so much for the info! I love Pier One as well. Either way it was cheap and I love it. But thought it might be old with the green tarnish on the base. But that makes sense the marble i noticed was glued on not screwed down.
  4. Lamplover78 Lamplover78, 7 months ago
    I'll look when i get a chance to see what the bottom looks like as well. Thanks
  5. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 7 months ago
    I asked my friend if he remembers where/when he got his -- he thinks he probably got it at a garage sale someplace, in the mid 1990's.
  6. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 7 months ago
    Your display of plants looks excellent, love it:-)
  7. Lamplover78 Lamplover78, 7 months ago
    Thanks so much. When i looked at the bottom it was very bright gold looking. But nothing else. Not even a screw.
  8. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 6 months ago
    I added it to my collection of lamp bases that the Italians were making during the early 70's to show what they were producing. They made a lot of table lamp bases and plaster statues. Unfort I would have to examine it to really see if it fits in this category, as sometimes they usually marked under the marble "made in italy" and they did use the same marble sometimes as this white variety. In 2 cases I bought them for the marble slabs that were 24 inches in diameter and using the finest portoro black with gold striations that is very rare and also a rose red marble with white striations. Yours probably is an Indian version however as the Italians produced only the beautiful detailed metalwork which yours does not show. However you seem to have it displayed well with plants.
  9. Lamplover78 Lamplover78, 6 months ago