Vulcan Military Cigarette Lighter

In Tobacciana > Cigar and Cigarette Lighters > Show & Tell.
Cigar and Cigarette Lighters3 of 378New Addtion1912 Capitol Lighter by Steele and Johnson

lzenglishlzenglish loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
nutsabotas6nutsabotas6 loves this.

Posted 1 month ago

Nickels
(1 item)

I have a Vulcan cigarette lighter with badges on both the front and back. The lighter is military and I am having difficulty deciding on the year. Hhc 2d bn (abn) 503d inf 173d abn bde are the engraving on the lighter. The lighter itself is near mint and has never been lit. The box is ripped at all for corners and is very worn but the messag a and marking are all clear and can be read. A little help identifying the year and value of the lighter would appreciated. Thank you

Comments

1. flashlarue, 1 month ago
    Military lighters are a whole collecting notch of their own. Very nice lighter.
  2. lzenglish lzenglish, 1 month ago
    Very Nice Find! I have a Very Special attachment with this Army Airborne Unit Myself. I don't remember any other lighters in this style, other than Zippo. After a quick search, i see they were made in Japan, and distributed out of San Francisco.

3. Nickels, 1 month ago
    Who would you all suggest to talk to for appraisal. I have seen values between 35 and 250. I want to be clear on what this is worth.
  4. scottvez scottvez, 1 month ago
    Great lighter. Your lighter is Viet Nam era. "The Rock" was part of the 173rd from 1963- 1972. These were often handed out by unit leadership for significant achievement-- similar to the way we use coins now in the military.

Unit will make a big difference in values on these lighters. Normally SF and Airborne units will bring the most money.

Everyone seems to want a zippo-- don't know how much to downgrade based on your being a Vulcan.

scott
  5. lzenglish lzenglish, 1 month ago
    As far as value goes, your primary collector will most likely be a Vietnam Vet, and Member of the 173rd abn, bde, like Myself. But any Paratrooper who collects Memorabilia could also be interested. Your best bet is to search the internet, for like lighters, and also sites like Ebay, Bonanza, and military collector sites. As always, it will fetch whatever someone is willing to pay for it. You have a 5 dollar lighter, with much more in sentimental value, imo. PS: I have never seen these given out as awards, etc. but usually purchased in the local black market, and other local ma and pop shops, located in villages, close to the military installations themselves.
  6. lzenglish lzenglish, 1 month ago
    Here is just one quick search on ebay, that has 2 lighters for sale.

7. scottvez scottvez, 1 month ago
    All of the value is in the insignia that identifies the unit-- and ABN units are highly collected from the VN era.

Lots of VN "elite" unit collectors out there (some are vets, many are not).

Thanks for sharing!

scott
  8. scottvez scottvez, 1 month ago
    BEWARE-- lots of FAKES out there-- especially on ebay!

scott
  9. Nickels, 1 month ago
    Thank you all for your help. I know where the lighter came from and if I can verify the mans record it might make it even more special. His mother gave it to me after she couldn't look at it any more. I have had it for 20 years and when a friend came over and tried to purchase for a hundred dollars I figured I better figure out what it's really worth. I get the "it's only worth what someone is willing to pay" but I will look into more VN collectors. Again thank you everyone.
  10. lzenglish lzenglish, 1 month ago
    Your Very Welcome, and here is one more link for you, where you very will could find your buddy listed. PS: I hope you get big bucks for your lighter!