Posted 5 months ago
ORIGIN OF COUNTRY:USA
In 1940, Charles Murphy was hired as design director. He first focused on new hand-painted dinnerware designs. He also saw an opportunity for more art pottery sales with an expensive line for jewelry stores and exclusive retailers. With this market in mind, he introduced gray and tan engobe pieces with glossy turquoise embellishments. In 1942, Red Wing Potteries catalog included a high-relief vase series with an Art Deco style. Under Murphy’s guidance the Red Wing Potteries also created other vases, figurines, planters, bowls, candlesticks, and more. The U.S. participation in World War II slowed art pottery production because some of the metal ores used to make glazes were rationed and had shipping restrictions.
In 1947 Red Wing Potteries featured new Murphy designs in their catalog with the “crackle glaze” on new modernist shapes. The pieces used glaze that separated during firing; then pieces were wiped with India ink to give the crackled appearance. They were available in Crackled White, Crackled Turquoise, or Crackled Chartreuse glazes. Charles Murphy left Red Wing Potteries in 1949 for a four-year stint as designer at Stetson Pottery in Lincoln, Ill.
With the departure of Charles Murphy, Red Wing Potteries contracted again with Belle Kogan for two new lines, Tropicana and Textura in 1950 that included vases, window boxes, and bowls. The Tropicana line pieces featured raised flower designs: bird of paradise, shell ginger, and desert flower. The Textura line featured pieces with textured surfaces. Many of Kogan’s pieces during this time were marked with a “B” preceding the shape number.
Red Wing’s art pottery continued to include new modernist forms that featured the sleek linear style and pastel glaze pallet (pink, turquoise, green and yellow) that reflected the decorating pallet of the decade. In 1953, Red Wing Potteries celebrated their 75th Anniversary with a special series (known today as the “2300” series) offering new shapes with over-lay glazes – grey over luster burgundy and white over luster black.
Charles Murphy returned in 1953 to Red Wing Potteries. Murphy introduced designs with the Fleck glazes in 1954 and carved Sgraffito in 1955. The Flecks line used the pastel glaze- Zephyr Pink, Yellow, Light Gray, Nile Blue, Colonial Buff, and Light Celadon – that encompassed tiny specks of dark brown. Sgraffito pieces were layered with multiple glazes then, before firing, layers were carved away to reveal the glaze color below. Like Belle Kogan’s designs, many of Murphy’s piece numbers were prefaced with an “M”.
In addition to Kogan and Murphy’s contributions, Red Wing created a number of ashtrays for their production line in the 1950s. Ashtrays were available in an endless glaze palette, single to several blended colors, and in all shapes: animals, geometric, wings, teepees, and other modern shapes. Among the ashtrays, the most collectible include the wing-shaped “Pretty Red Wing” featuring an Indian maiden and three Minnesota Twins World Series pieces. The 1957 Red Wing Potteries catalog included a huge spread of different ashtrays.
Charles Murphy’s 1957 Garden Club line featured single-colored, matte glazed vases and bowls in black, brown, gray, pink, blue and green. Finishing out the decade was the hand-painted “Jolly Jars” series. These jars were produced in sets of three and available in three finishes.
1960 – 1967 the last years for Red Wing Potteries.
In 1960, Red Wing attempted to streamline their art pottery with the creation of two product categories: Floraline (91 pieces) and Stereoline (27). Floraline incorporated previous glazes on new and old shapes while Stereoline pieces were finished in colorful new glazes.
Charles Murphy’s Decorator Line, available in 1959, was finished in Crystalline glazes and Chromoline Hand-painted glazes of the early 1960s. In addition to these Murphy lines, the talented Red Wing designers created the Birch Bark Line in 1960. These pieces featured a birch mark relief on canoe and log shape planters and vases. In 1961 Murphy created Cowboy A and B, full-figured cowboy shape wall hangers.
Belle Kogan, in 1962, created Prismatique that featured a unique geometric style and angular designs. The style was available in 15 different shapes and 5 different sizes. In 1963 Kogan’s Belle Line featured a color pallet of a chocolate-colored glaze outside with a white textured overlay and a yellow glazed lining. Red Wing Potteries also released four designs featuring a vase and several bowls decorated with applied cherubs.
Charles Murphy’s, 1965 Bronze and 1966 Monarch, were his last creations for Red Wing. Bronze line feature classic shapes with a rich glossy crackle glaze; Monarch, included eight shapes using the Contemporary Blue and Gothic Green glazes.
By 1967 the Red Wing Potteries were suffering from an aging facility, slowing sales because of imports, and union issues. They continued to produce art pottery and dinnerware until 1967when an extended strike closed their doors forever. In more than 90 years of production, the Red Wing potteries produced many interesting and beautiful pieces of stoneware, art pottery, and dinnerware that are desired by today’s collectors.
This was purchased online for a great price , the bottom isn't chipped up , its very smooth , its a pottery / color imperfection from the manufacture. theres just one tiny chip on the handle but not really noticeable . but over all in great condition.