Posted 4 years ago
This is the Cast Aluminum Curtiss YP-40 Warhawk Factory Model that I had shown previously with my entry on License Plate Topper. It is now restored to its former glory from 1940. Curtiss had these produced as momentos for the military and politicians involved with the full scale purchasing program. These models are about 1/72 scale so an easy item to display in any collection. Various tasks involved in this process are as follows-
1) A gariash hole on the belly was filled with an aluminum weld. A new, correct mounting was drilled and tapped.
2) The surfaces were all wet-sanding to remove residues, some imperfections and then was professionally polished.
3) One prop blade was missing. This was replaced with a new carved aluminum unit (with a shaft) and inserted into the prop spinner.
4) The correct original stand was located with the wrong airplane attached, was purchased then restored.
5) A new Plexiglas canopy plug (from original WW2 Mil-Spec material) was carved and attached to the cockpit cavity.
6) New aluminum framing was installed around the canopy.
7) Correct period decals were installed.
8) All surfaces were lacquered to preserve the newly polished surfaces and decals.
Item will be on display with a collector here in the United States.
Thanks for Visiting, See You next project. Tom (SANDMAN OVERHAUL)