Murano glass sword

In Art Glass > Murano and Italian Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Murano and Italian Art Glass54 of 1350Murano vintage glass swan Italian Murano Glass Ashtray

ozmartyozmarty loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.
bracken3bracken3 loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
VioletOrangeVioletOrange loves this.
AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
rockbatrockbat loves this.
Collectables59Collectables59 loves this.

Posted 8 months ago

IronLace

Purchased on a significant day in my life in 1996, this Murano glass sword measures 57.5 cm in length. Made from clear glass with the handle cased clear over red in the sommerso technique, it is a spectacular example of a novelty item.
    I am a peaceful soul, but if I ever had to fight a duel, this would be my weapon of choice. Single use only, of course... :-)

Comments

1. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 8 months ago
      What an unusual, and beautiful thing??!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
    2. IronLace IronLace, 8 months ago
      Many thanks, AnythingObscure!
      I believe this piece dates from the mid - 20th century.
      However, glass novelties have a long history, as glassmakers used to make them both for the souvenir trade & also for use in traditional parades where they showed off their skills in the art of glass - making. They cleverly crafted life size walking canes, swords, bells, & even hats out of spun glass. I have also read of clothing being made from finely spun glass, though I cannot imagine it being very pleasant to wear...
    3. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 8 months ago
      Wow! When I saw the size I was blown away. I thought it was a little thing like a cocktail stick. How cool :)
    4. IronLace IronLace, 8 months ago
      Yes, it's the real deal! I should do a selfie with it but will need to work out the right outfit...no, I don't have a suit of armour...yet... :-)
    5. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 8 months ago
      Lol. There's a photo I'd like to see :)
    6. IronLace IronLace, 8 months ago
      Me too. :-) But I think I will work a vaguely 80s New Romantic swashbuckler inspired get - up instead...more my style.