Cobalt USA marked vases

In Glassware > Show & Tell.
Glassware1002 of 9122Blue Glass Footed Covered Dish / Compote in Diamond patternCandy Dish-Are spoons original to piece?

BryanwBryanw loves this.
ElisabethanElisabethan loves this.
PickabooPickaboo loves this.
DeanoDeano likes this.
auraaura loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
CaperkidCaperkid loves this.

kwqd

Here are some images of three of the six styles of cobalt vases that I have identified by this maker. The shorter is about 5" high and 4.5" wide. The middle size vase is 6" high x 3" wide. The tallest vase is 8" high and about 2.5" wide. The bottom chamber of the tallest vase is lighter blue, probably due to stretching of the glass.

I am fairly certain these vases are by the same maker though there are some similarities and differences between them.

Similarities: Cobalt glass, blown into a two part mold, USA on the bottom in the same font, mold number on bottom.

Differences: Bottom finish varies between different styles of vase, periods separate USA on some vases, shade of cobalt varies.

After a few years of research, no maker has been identified for these vases. I tentatively date them to the 1930s, but that is a guess.

logo
    Glassware
    Northwood TORNADO VARIANT ANTIQUE CARNIVAL ART GLASS VASE~MARIGOLD~SUPER RARE!
    Northwood TORNADO VARIANT ANTIQUE C...
    $203
    VINTAGE MCKEE CUSTARD GREEN DOT 4" X 5" REFRIGERATOR KEEPER DISH NO LID
    VINTAGE MCKEE CUSTARD GREEN DOT 4&#...
    $49
    Lot 3 Pyrex Pink Gooseberry Cinderella Mixing Bowl Set Vintage 1957 441 442 443
    Lot 3 Pyrex Pink Gooseberry Cindere...
    $78
    Vintage Fire King Harley Davidson Oil Flat Bottom Jadite Advertising Coffee Mug
    Vintage Fire King Harley Davidson O...
    $75
    logo
    Northwood TORNADO VARIANT ANTIQUE CARNIVAL ART GLASS VASE~MARIGOLD~SUPER RARE!
    Northwood TORNADO VARIANT ANTIQUE C...
    $203

Comments

1. kwqd kwqd, 2 years ago
      Thanks for the loves

aura
      fortapache
      Newfld
      racer4four
      blunderbuss2
      Caperkid
      vetraio50

I've really been shaking the trees for the other shapes lately and, of course, not seen even any of the styles I already have. Par for the course. I know they are out there because I see them on ebay, etsy, etc. At least my life has purpose!
    2. kwqd kwqd, 2 years ago
      Update: So far, I have found images of six, perhaps seven, styles of this vase in cobalt. They are quite scarce with only a dozen, or so at most, total, of all styles found on ebay at any moment in time. Very rare to find one "in the wild" in my thrift shop travels. I found only one example in amber of any of these vases, the "beehive" vase shown above, and only an image of it. No examples in any other color. One ebay seller estimates them to be 1930s-1940s production and I agree. Still no clue as to the maker.
    3. kwqd kwqd, 2 years ago
      After reviewing my notes, I realized that I have actually found ten different styles of cobalt vases by this mystery maker, all with the similar USA mark and a number on the bottom.
    4. Pickaboo Pickaboo, 2 years ago
      Kwqd, The hive looking one is great my g collects cobalt glass and beehive vases so it's right in her wheelhouse. Lol
    5. kwqd kwqd, 2 years ago
      @Pickaboo - This maker made at least four versions of beehive vases. Maybe she knows who made these!
    6. kwqd kwqd, 2 years ago
      Deano and Pickaboo! Thanks for liking and loving my update!
    7. Pickaboo Pickaboo, 2 years ago
      Hi Kwgd, She is thinking Maryland glass co. They also did the iconic bromoseltzer cobalt blue bottles. Just a guess
    8. kwqd kwqd, 2 years ago
      Thanks , Pickaboo and thank your g for me! It gives me a research angle, now!
    9. Bryanw, 5 days ago
      I have the exact blue beehive vase, marked usa...been meaning to look it up. I have the top or a top, not sure it's a set.
    10. kwqd kwqd, 5 days ago
      Thanks Bryanw! I am checking out your post.
    11. kwqd kwqd, 5 days ago
      Here is a link to what seems to be a very thoroughly researched article on the Maryland Glass Corp. which does not mention any manufacture of vases by them:

12. Bryanw, 15 hours ago
      Thank you for your help, you guys are great. I love the hunt, so much to learn.
      Thanks again.
    13. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 15 hours ago
      Very nice. The round swirly one is my favourite.
    14. kwqd kwqd, 9 hours ago
      Thanks Bryanw and Elisabethan! I decrapified my images and added another example of this vase to the lineup.
    15. Bryanw, 6 hours ago
      I can't thank all of you enough...wow. Been working all day and I check my messages, all your time. I owe
    16. renedijkstra, 6 hours ago
      anchor hocking depression glass is mine shot
    17. kwqd kwqd, 4 hours ago
      Thanks for your comment. Anchor Hocking's glass marks are well documented. They only used three marks since 1905"

All three marks are shown in the link above. Anchor Hocking never used a USA mark. They did occasionally use labels in addition to marking the glass for select lines.

The only company known to have made cobalt glass and to also use a "USA" mark was the Maryland Glass Corp., but there in no mention of that company making vases in any documentation.

The maker of these vases remains unknown.
    18. renedijkstra, 4 hours ago
      you are right the anchor is missing