Share your favorites on Show & Tell


In Pottery > American Art Pottery > Show & Tell and Pottery > Show & Tell.
American Art Pottery120 of 302GILL CLAY POT CO forerunner of Muncie PotteryEarl Mccutchen Vase
Love it
Like it

hunterqleehunterqlee loves this.
nancymarshallnancymarshall loves this.
artfootartfoot loves this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
auraaura loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
kwqdkwqd loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
See 6 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 3 years ago

    (115 items)

    Here’s an unmarked blended glaze vase. Haven’t been able to identify the shape & maker. (Don’t have these collector books.) Note the orange-y bottom. Also the three kiln
    marks. I’ve found Fulper, Muncie, Peters & Reed pieces similar glazes and the orange-y bottom. Do you know which pottery company made this shape vase? THANKS!

    Mystery Solved
    American Art Pottery
    See all
    Small Antique Arts & Crafts TECO Art Pottery Small Matte Green Footed Pot Vase
    Small Antique Arts & Crafts TECO Ar...
    Frederick Daniel Rothenbusch Rookwood 9 1/8" Vase
    Frederick Daniel Rothenbusch Rookwo...
    Rookwood Pottery Vase purple and sage with cyclamen.
    Rookwood Pottery Vase purple and sa...
    Rookwood Scenic Vase
    Rookwood Scenic Vase...
    Small Antique Arts & Crafts TECO Art Pottery Small Matte Green Footed Pot Vase
    Small Antique Arts & Crafts TECO Ar...
    See all


    1. art.pottery, 3 years ago
      Maybe Cliftwood?
    2. art.pottery, 3 years ago
      Or Monmouth/Western Stoneware
    3. JoeyC, 3 years ago
      Thanks for the names but do you have any references to the shape and orange-y glaze? I see examples of Muncie and Fulper with similar orange-y mottling on the bottom. Fulper has a very similar pillow vase shaped piece.
    4. artfoot artfoot, 3 years ago
      Cliftwood is a good guess. It doesn't look right for Fulper to me though you can probably find better information about Fulper online than I have handy. I did go through the Muncie book (Collector's Encyclopedia of Muncie Pottery by Jon Rans and Mike Eckelman) where I did find a similar glaze (Brown Drip on Peachskin). Unfortunately there is not a shape match - nothing really even close - anywhere. Muncie is probably unlikely.
      Cliftwood is related to Morton Potteries and there may be some information in that book - sorry, I don't have that one.
    5. artfoot artfoot, 3 years ago
      I can't find a shape justification in the Peters & Reed book either (Sanford's Guide to P&R by Martha & Steve Sanford).
    6. art.pottery, 3 years ago
      Peters and Reed would be red clay - most of the time. Muncie, white clay, always.

      I have seen Cliftwood vases with the same rust colored mottling on the base. Looked through the Hall text “Morton Potteries: 99 Years” - didn’t find the form, but there are a number of examples of their ‘Chocolate Brown’ glaze, nearly identical to that on your vase.
    7. JoeyC, 3 years ago
      Thanks for all your help! I looked at the foot with a magnifying glass: the clay is a deep golden yellow clay not unlike the Ohio potteries (I’m a Brush/McCoy collector since late 80’s.) I’ll look further w/your suggestions! Thx again!
    8. JoeyC, 3 years ago
      Hey check this out: see new pic ... deleted one & posted this one ... a flower frog I found posted on a website called VARAGE SALE. Lady has the flower frog for sale stating it is unmarked but thinks its Cliftwood ... she’s IN MORTON, IL. Same exact glaze.
    9. nancymarshall, 2 years ago
      These are both Monmouth. I have a collection of these pieces, which were made in the 1930s. Also, I bought the flower frog vase that was advertised on Varage Sale.
    10. nancymarshall, 2 years ago
      These had small paper labels which are usually missing.
    11. JoeyC, 2 years ago
      Yes thanks, mystery solved.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.